300 Yamaha vs 425 Yamaha

I am not sure about difference in sound/loudness between those two specific motors. However, I would really consider rbtnt’s point above. The Mercury 400 would be the most ideal for wieight to HP if considering that motor range (unless there is a dealer/service center reason for sticking with the Yamaha). Also, the higher HP Mercuries (at least in the 200-350 range) run slightly quieter. I am assuming those above 300 do as well.
I need to read more about Mercury.

Hello Illinois,
MPH yes. We plan to run up the east coast intracoastal. May be heading your way if you are on the Illinois river or Lake Michigan. Two legs are completed. In 2017, we did 1400 miles Paducah, KY to Sarasota, Fl (2006 JC 266 Classic 225 Honda). This summer we did leg two which was 1000 miles Sarasota to Southport NC (2014 Manitou 23 Oasis SHP 250 Yam SHO). Each time I've sold the boat afterwards. Areas were pretty sketchy at times but when the times were good, they were great! We averaged 150-200 miles/day on the water: fished, saw manatee, porpoises playing, alligators, my friend caught a 9 pound bass in Lake Okeechobie, ventured thru many lock/dams, and even crossed the big bend of Florida. There are so many great things to see in the U.S. and I can't tell you the thrill of seeing it from a pontoon. We have thought about using a deep v twin engine boat for this trip. But the tritoon allows us to go just about anywhere due to the shallow draft. In chop, these tritoons seemed steady to me. Seas up to 2-3 feet can be handled easily with the tritoon. Just have to avoid rougher conditions which doesn't always happen. Hoping a Bennington will provide more safety (along with the reliability) that they are known for...

Once we find the right boat, I will post the specs here. And if we buy new, we'll probably end up with the 425 HP based on Instigator's experience.
Cheers!
Ok Gotcha! I thought you were going to be flying around a lake like a nut. That's cool what you do though! Enjoy!

I hear that Suzukis are reliable and bullet proof too.
Yeah, Susie seems to really have cleaned up their act after the disaster of having a bunch of motors converted into aluminum oxide by salt water (some years ago, don't remember exactly how many).

Hello Illinois,
MPH yes. We plan to run up the east coast intracoastal. May be heading your way if you are on the Illinois river or Lake Michigan. Two legs are completed. In 2017, we did 1400 miles Paducah, KY to Sarasota, Fl (2006 JC 266 Classic 225 Honda). This summer we did leg two which was 1000 miles Sarasota to Southport NC (2014 Manitou 23 Oasis SHP 250 Yam SHO). Each time I've sold the boat afterwards. Areas were pretty sketchy at times but when the times were good, they were great! We averaged 150-200 miles/day on the water: fished, saw manatee, porpoises playing, alligators, my friend caught a 9 pound bass in Lake Okeechobie, ventured thru many lock/dams, and even crossed the big bend of Florida. There are so many great things to see in the U.S. and I can't tell you the thrill of seeing it from a pontoon. We have thought about using a deep v twin engine boat for this trip. But the tritoon allows us to go just about anywhere due to the shallow draft. In chop, these tritoons seemed steady to me. Seas up to 2-3 feet can be handled easily with the tritoon. Just have to avoid rougher conditions which doesn't always happen. Hoping a Bennington will provide more safety (along with the reliability) that they are known for...

Once we find the right boat, I will post the specs here. And if we buy new, we'll probably end up with the 425 HP based on Instigator's experience.
Cheers!
Not sure about extra safety vs a Manitou, I would think both would be near equal. I’ve been in 4’s and 5’s (very slowly) and it’s fine but not something I would do without clutching my ditch bag the entire time.

If you’re running the loop I would think fuel efficiency and reliability would be paramount, which the 200-250hp class motors seem to be perfect for? A 400+ seems to only be ideal for speed, and if your desired cruise is 35-38 that class motor seems like overkill. Plus your fuel burn might be around 20gph vs 15gph on a smaller motor, so even with an expanded tank you might be coming into port on fumes vs. having a healthy 1/4 cushion. There may be plenty of marinas to offset that but still extra stops = time.

But hey, bigger is better! I wouldn’t say no to a 425!

I would look at the performance numbers as the bigger motor might burn less gas cruising at 35-38 mph. If both motors have the same gear ratio, the bigger one will run a larger prop and fewer RPMS than the smaller motor.

Another wildcard at this point is how heavy the pontoon will be running? Spending most nights in a hotel would be a very different deal than mostly living aboard....with some days/nights spent out in boonies. A generator and supplies add up quickly.

I love my 425 but keep in mind it is not just the engine cost that is higher. Everything else is higher and you can only use the smaller Yamaha Garmin. At least that is what they told me when I purchased my boat.

Back