303 Cleaners - The Good, Bad, and Moldy

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
So... I searched the forums for this specifically, but only found some piecemeal comments, so I'm hoping the gang can chime in. I have read so much about how great 303 cleaners are, I want to use them exclusively. While a nice guy from Bennington gave me the official company line about using "a mild detergent and warm water" he also said how he personally uses 303 on his boat and indicated all of the products listed below were good to use, other than the Aerospace UV Protectant (something about not applying to simtex as it might conflict with the existing UV protectant coating on the furniture). However, I want to protect my beautiful SHO engine cowling from the sun; that's where I thought I would use the Aerospace. Thoughts on my questions below? I appreciate those of you who use a multitude of other cleaning products, but I would like to commit to 303 only.
  • 303 Multi-Purpose Cleaner – can I safely use on simtex seat fabric, seat bases, helm, and tables? What about aluminum rails/bimini frame?
  • 303 Mold and Mildew Cleaner – can safely I use on simtex seat fabric, seat bases, helm, and tables?
  • 303 Aerospace UV Protectant – can safely I use on engine cowling? Where else should I use this?
  • 303 Marine Fabric Guard – can safely I use on Bimini fabric? Should I? Any other uses?
Thanks everyone!

Dave

20210109_114214.jpg

Here‘s what Bennignton and the Simtex manafacturer ”authorize” for cleaing the fabric. I just think to use anything off script opens the door to potential problems: be it damage to seats, or voiding of warranty coverage if something goes sideways. I am a ”better safe than sorry” kind of person anyway. However, it seems to me if these things work fine, why take the risk with using 303 products, or anything else, for that matter?

F9822314-27CB-4461-827E-3D176BFC3517.png

D3614292-AF23-4D73-A6CA-6C00F1055583.png

As for the mooring cover and bimini, a multitude of products will work great, and the 303 lineups are among the best. I did get some 303 for sealing up/water-proofing my mooring cover and Bimini cover this upcoming spring.

Last edited:

Vikingstaff- where did you find this? I’d love to have the link or something so I can show those that will be on the boat regularly.

As for the mooring cover and bimini, a multitude of producers will work great, and the 303 lineups are among the best. I did get some 303 for sealing up/water-proofing my mooring cover and Bimini cover this upcoming spring.

Does the Bimini and mooring cover come treated from the factory or should you treat it right away (new boat) when you get it? How long does the treatment last? Thanks everyone.

So... I searched the forums for this specifically, but only found some piecemeal comments, so I'm hoping the gang can chime in. I have read so much about how great 303 cleaners are, I want to use them exclusively. While a nice guy from Bennington gave me the official company line about using "a mild detergent and warm water" he also said how he personally uses 303 on his boat and indicated all of the products listed below were good to use, other than the Aerospace UV Protectant (something about not applying to simtex as it might conflict with the existing UV protectant coating on the furniture). However, I want to protect my beautiful SHO engine cowling from the sun; that's where I thought I would use the Aerospace. Thoughts on my questions below? I appreciate those of you who use a multitude of other cleaning products, but I would like to commit to 303 only.
  • 303 Multi-Purpose Cleaner – can I safely use on simtex seat fabric, seat bases, helm, and tables? What about aluminum rails/bimini frame?
  • 303 Mold and Mildew Cleaner – can safely I use on simtex seat fabric, seat bases, helm, and tables?
  • 303 Aerospace UV Protectant – can safely I use on engine cowling? Where else should I use this?
  • 303 Marine Fabric Guard – can safely I use on Bimini fabric? Should I? Any other uses?
Thanks everyone!

Dave

View attachment 29211
Google all of the 303 products and see where you can use them.

I have read so much about how great 303 cleaners are, I want to use them exclusively.
303 Aerospace UV Protectant is universally loved. It has been a real winner for me on vinyl and plastic. I use it on my seats and plastic parts both on the boat and in my cars. Have been using it for years and am a very satisfied customer.

I don't read nearly as many good comments about their cleaners and fabric guard. I have used each of them and was disappointed each time.

I think you should use car wax to protect your beautiful fiberglass outboard cowling. I have no experience with Simtex yet, but I would follow the manufacturer's guidance to the letter.

I'm with Sunedog........Wax the crap out of that outboard! The entire motor! You can't have too many coats on it!!! Or you can always get a Cowling cover. As far as waterproofing the mooring cover/Bimini I have used Starbrite waterproofing spray on both. I have used/tested many products over the years and it lasted the longest by far. I don't have the simtex fabric so I don't know how compatible it is with 303 products. 303 products are good but they aren't the only product line out there that will keep your boat looking new.

Vikingstaff- where did you find this? I’d love to have the link or something so I can show those that will be on the boat regularly.

Does the Bimini and mooring cover come treated from the factory or should you treat it right away (new boat) when you get it? How long does the treatment last? Thanks everyone.
Here is the entire presentation. I actually got it from another thread somewhere in these forums awhile back. I think it is from when they were first switching over to the Simtex in their seating. The first few slides were basically trying to show why its so nice, and the last couple were about cleaning and care instructions.

As for the Bimini and mooring cover, they are NOT treated with anything from the factory. If you want to add on any UV protectant or water-proofing, you need to do that yourself. At start of season, weather permitting, is more ideal.

Attachments

• Bennington Simtex.pdf
    461.9 KB · Views: 116
I'm with Sunedog........Wax the crap out of that outboard! The entire motor! You can't have too many coats on it!!! Or you can always get a Cowling cover. As far as waterproofing the mooring cover/Bimini I have used Starbrite waterproofing spray on both. I have used/tested many products over the years and it lasted the longest by far. I don't have the simtex fabric so I don't know how compatible it is with 303 products. 303 products are good but they aren't the only product line out there that will keep your boat looking new.
The last coat is a great sealer for glass, plastics, paint. You will never use wax again. First time put two coats on and nothing will stick to it. Goes on so fast and lasts. I’m a big fan of it. You will never have white residue on anything including plastic. Shines like no other

The last coat is a great sealer for glass, plastics, paint. You will never use wax again. First time put two coats on and nothing will stick to it. Goes on so fast and lasts. I’m a big fan of it. You will never have white residue on anything including plastic. Shines like no other
2Picky, did you try other ceramic coatings or stumble upon this one and stuck with it? I have they have worked nicely for my cars and quads, agree they are super easy to use and produce a nice shine.

2Picky, did you try other ceramic coatings or stumble upon this one and stuck with it? I have they have worked nicely for my cars and quads, agree they are super easy to use and produce a nice shine.
Stuck with this one. They have the longest lasting in torture tests so why move on. My truck still sheds water after this hard winter. So easy to apply don’t know why some are still using wax. Best of all you put this on almost everything.

Stuck with this one. They have the longest lasting in torture tests so why move on. My truck still sheds water after this hard winter. So easy to apply don’t know why some are still using wax. Best of all you put this on almost everything.
2picky Are you talking about the Starbrite product?

This is what I use now on everything. Works well. Lasts longer than wax in my experience. The Last Coat 2

This is what I use now on everything. Works well. Lasts longer than wax in my experience. The Last Coat 2
bjpell - do you use this on your Simtex also?

Thanks everyone!

Dave

View attachment 29211
I learned about 303 on the Bennington forum, but have used ArmorAll on my 94 champion bass boat since 94. Upholstery looks brand new to this day. I alternate 303 and ArmorAll on my Bennington and Champion. I think it is hard to beat either. ‍

Back