303 or Scotch Guard

highpond

Reaction score
Its coming to that time when I'll be taking off the shrink wrap and looking to water proof the Benny play pin cover. The price of both 303 Fabric Guard & Scotch Guard are about the same on E-Bay About $55.00 SG.  to $69.00 for 303 a gallion. I know some of ya'll have tried both. Now I'm trying to decide which. The big ??? I have does either or both build up to a point were they start to peel or flake making a bigger mess or should I just leave it alone. The cover and boat were new last year and did let some rain through to the rug. I'd like to stop it if I can. but not to the point of ending up with a bigger problem.

I made seat covers for my seats last year out of a Sunbrella type fabric.  I sprayed a couple of seats with 303 fabric protector to protect the fabric from spider droppings in my boathouse.

I sprayed a little too much 303 on the seats, and it splotched the fabric--greasy looking.  It won't come out in the wash, ether.  I'm sorry I used the stuff.  And after using one can, I realize that 303's just too expensive to use.  And it ruined the looks of my fabric.

Had I had it to do over, I would have gone to an upholstery repair and got one of their fabric protectors--much cheaper.

That's the first non-recommendation I've heard for 303 products. Just to be clear, it was the fabric stuff you are unhappy with, not the vinyl stuff, right? Or are you unhappy with the vinyl stuff too?

I have used 303 exclusively on my vinyl and bimini, never had the splotching on my bimini and I put it on pretty heavy.  Could the problem be with the fabric rather than the 303?

I have done car and boat detailing for 20 years and 303 products are very good. The 303 aerospace protectant is great on vinyl seats and rubber. The 303 high tech fabric guard waterproofs boat covers, Bimini tops, and boat lift canopy very well. The fabric guard is for fabrics only it does not work on vinyl. 303 aerospace is recommended by most boat builders for vinyl because it protects for uv rays and keeps the vinyl soft. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blotches must have developed from the covers still having wet spots on them that leaked through to the vinyl. I guess my ? is still does 303 build up then peel of flake? I don't want a mess just stop rain from getting through to the seats and rug. My other ? has anyone tried Scotch Guard?

Sorry to hear about the vinyl problem. Hope in time it'll fade.

I got the 303 today. It came in a bottle. Amazon .com $57.00 Now what do I do???   Just kidding. I'm going to use a new pump up  garden spray unit, Hang the cover over my chain link fence to spray. and let dry. While I'm at it, I'll do the bimi boot  cover as well. Should be a dry summer for the rug and vinyl. I HOPE

Thanks all for steering me to this. Let you know the outcome next Fall.

I saw the hand pump at Amizon you have, but figured that with the two gallon garden type it would sit on the ground as I used the hose to spray. Pointed down wind of course. If it looks to big I may go with the one you have. Thanks for the suggestion.  

I was thinking better control with the hand sprayer  vs the wand type 

Well the 303 and the Solo pump showed  up from Amazon last week. Sunday was such a beautiful day I decided to get the Benni cover out and spray it. The pump worked great .Got the cover done with most of the 3 Should be in the water next Wednesday or Thursday03 gallon. I then took out the Bimi cover and sprayed it. Still have a little 303 left. The cover dried fast in the 70+ sun. Now I'll wait until next week and take off the shrink wrap. Rain tomorrow and only in the high 50's Friday. Should be in the water for trial run next Wednesday or Thursday. HELLO SPRING! 

Well the 303 and the Solo pump showed  up from Amazon last week. Sunday was such a beautiful day I decided to get the Benni cover out and spray it. The pump worked great .Got the cover done with most of the 3 Should be in the water next Wednesday or Thursday03 gallon. I then took out the Bimi cover and sprayed it. Still have a little 303 left. The cover dried fast in the 70+ sun. Now I'll wait until next week and take off the shrink wrap. Rain tomorrow and only in the high 50's Friday. Should be in the water for trial run next Wednesday or Thursday. HELLO SPRING! 
Did you or are you going to do your carpet ?

I did last year.going to do the new one too .

Water just rolled off .

Hi Jack No I don't think I'll do the rug. The boat was new last June. Only the wife and I use it, thus not much traffic on it. We have an extended ladder set up on the stern and then vinyl on the deck through the stern door. More than enough room to dry off after a swim. Thus the rug stays dry. I'm told the rug is almost un destructible. I just hate the thought of it getting wet thus the deck is wet and that would enhance  rot. 20 years is good but why push my luck. The idea of 303 was to keep the rain from seeping thru the cover as it did in a couple of places last year. We'll see how it works out  Thanks for the hint on the Solo, go the 2 liter it worked great.

Last year ,the first time I pulled up the anchor . I didn't realize there was still mud underneath and set it on the carpet on the bow .

Oh was I mad ( at myself ) . I set the anchor back out and just splashed some water on the bow ,you would never know it had been muddy .

Glad I had the 303 on it, could have been a mess .

I had already bought the 1L,a few months back ,waiting for it to warm up a little more before I order a gallon of 303. 

Don't want it to freeze on the porch if we are not home 

Got that.  It's 75 here today just beautiful. Going out and do some yard work now. I hope you get that chance to use the new boat soon I'm looking at first ride next Wed. or Thur. Can't wait.

I'm jealous .50 some today ,single digits on Wednesday .

Mine still has the factory wrap on it even .

If you spray the 303 fabric protectant on your canvas, just do a light coat.  Like I said earlier, I used too much and it left splotches.'

I do know it's the only thing recommended to use on canvas convertible tops on finer automobiles--like Jaguars and BMW's.

Got it done, no blotches, but the cover was new last June I'm very happy with the job. Now I hope it keeps the water out. When we get a thunder storm here the sky  opens up big time and that will be the test. I have a four post set up with 2 straps on the back that go over the bimi and keep the cover tight and with a good drain off angle the full length.

Well today the 303 gets its test. We've been getting down pours since last night and expecting over 2"  before its over. If the 303 does its job as ya'll have said it should, the rug and all furniture should be nice and dry when rain is over and I get out to check. FINGERS CROSSED.

Back