350 Verado trim

I have a different set up by my trim gauge at full throttle is a needle width above 1/2. Seems to be just right for speed and ride, any higher it'll porpoise the boat. Maybe try it there?? 

I usually run mine about 1/3 up.  I experimented with many different settings, running the boat around 30-35, changing the trim up and down and see where the optimum setting should be based on rpm's and speed.  Once it's off the trailer, I just set mine at around 3-4 bars and leave it alone the rest of the day.

Not sure how to set your trim gauge as mine was already set.  Here is something to remember, it seems everyone's trim gauges are different, when one person says they are running half, it may be 1/3 or 3/4 to someone else, don't go by that.

What you need to go by is your rpm and your speed.  Get to WOT on your boat with trim all the way down.  Start to trim up, watch your speed go up and your rpms.  You will know you are at max when either you start to cavitate, rpm's go over max or you start to drop speed.  Once you get use to it you will just know where to stop by feel and sound of your boat, it will become habit for you.  

After you do the testing and get use to it, you will automatically start trimming up as you are pushing your throttle forward, you won't have to wait to get to WOT, it just becomes habit.  Don't forget, you may have to trim down some before you go into a tight turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
What /\ said!

For me it's pretty much feel, as in feel the boat go faster.   B)

Thanks, 

Our boat has a digital trim gauge and I need to set the max trim height. I probably should wait till the motor is raised. Has anyone had to setup the trim like this?

Hi Zincit Q, welcome to the club! You should have a pretty detailed manual from Mercury that will describe how to go about doing that and more. Depending on your set-up, you could have a number of functions available to you through the Merc control unit. 

Thanks, 

Our boat has a digital trim gauge and I need to set the max trim height. I probably should wait till the motor is raised. Has anyone had to setup the trim like this?

I have a 25Q swing back with the 350 Verado. I'm on the 3rd prop and the trim of course has been different with each setup. Originally the motor was mounted all the way down running a 15x15 enertia prop and the trim was from 2.0-2.2 at top speed of 50.5mph and 6500rpm's

Second setup was raised motor 2 holes and installed 16pitch enertia prop and trim was 1.8-2.0 and 52.5mph and 6480 rpms

currently running a 17 pitch enertia with motor still up 2 holes and trim is 1.7-1.9 and hit 53.4 mph but only turning 6200-6250 rpm's

The 17P prop got me the higher top speed but only when loaded light, if I'm loaded heavy the 16P prop was faster plus the holeshot suffered with the 17P. I'm planning to go back to the 16P enertia if I can't find another series to try.

I have a 25Q swing back with the 350 Verado. I'm on the 3rd prop and the trim of course has been different with each setup. Originally the motor was mounted all the way down running a 15x15 enertia prop and the trim was from 2.0-2.2 at top speed of 50.5mph and 6500rpm's

Second setup was raised motor 2 holes and installed 16pitch enertia prop and trim was 1.8-2.0 and 52.5mph and 6480 rpms

currently running a 17 pitch enertia with motor still up 2 holes and trim is 1.7-1.9 and hit 53.4 mph but only turning 6200-6250 rpm's

The 17P prop got me the higher top speed but only when loaded light, if I'm loaded heavy the 16P prop was faster plus the holeshot suffered with the 17P. I'm planning to go back to the 16P enertia if I can't find another series to try.

Try the 16P Eco, it is bigger diameter and blades I think.  Look on the Merc page it describes it.  That may be a good in between for you, not sure?  It will turn at lower RPM's of the regular enertia because of the larger diameter.

Welcome aboard!  New boat or just a new motor?

I am experimenting basically just as Scott outlined above with my new Bennington. I think his advice and approach is spot on.

Good luck. I am looking forward to hearing about how it works out for you and what kind of performance numbers you are getting. Don't forget to post pics sometime.

Thanks for the help so far. We had a 2012 25Q with Yamaha 250. Just received our 2017 25RSB with 350 Verado. Just a miffed at performance between 250&350. 3-4 mph faster is unacceptable. Will try all recommended solutions!

Thanks for the help so far. We had a 2012 25Q with Yamaha 250. Just received our 2017 25RSB with 350 Verado. Just a miffed at performance between 250&350. 3-4 mph faster is unacceptable. Will try all recommended solutions!

How fast did the Q go? Keep in mind that boats 5 years ago were lighter in weight based on my research.

Let us know what your RPM's are at for WOT (wide open throttle) trimmed to where it should be, give us your speed for that.  Also let us know what size and type of prop you are using, give us what hole your motor is located in.

Last edited by a moderator:
 6300 rpm. First hole, all the way down. 15p prop. I'll be going up two holes and to a 16p. Will advise after that. Once again, thanks for the input. 

That's exactly where mine started at. You will see a big difference. I will suggest only going up one hole if you have many people riding in the front of your boat. We're always loaded light but the few times I had more people in the front I think it would have done better only one hole up instead of 2. 

What issues did you have with a heavy loaded front with 2 holes up?

With it up 2 holes and around half tank of fuel I had 6 adults up front and there was a noticeable amount of cavitation and I had a hard time keeping it trimmed at slower speeds 18-25mph.

Back