50hp 4 stroke to 90hp 4 stroke

Dalmorloson

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2275 with a 50hp 4 stroke and have a chance to put a 90 on it for a good price. I currently get about 15mph with our average load on board. What speed difference should I expect with the 90,  and is there a chart or something to show this type of info?

I have the 2015 20 SLX with the Yamaha F90. I get around 27 - 28 MPH with average load. Don't know if that will help you or not.

On our previous pontoon we went from a 50 hp to a 90, both 2 strokes. I don't remember the numbers, but it was significant and definitely worth the cash. Our old boat was a 20ft. I would say our mph on the 90 was similar to Randy's.

I have a 21 SLX with a 90 on it and can top out at 27mph according to my GPS. I had a 40hp 2 stroke on my old 20' boat and what a difference a 90 makes on my new boat that is 1'10' inches longer than the old one. 

Have the Yamaha 4 stroke 90hp on the 22SSLX and get around 27 fully loaded. 3 adults and 1 185# teenager in the tube with full tank of gas and load I still get about 24. I have 15 pitch prop. Worth the upgrade. The boat I traded for the new one had a 70hp Yamaha 4 stroke and there was quite a bit of difference in just that much more horsepower.

By the way the real speed trick is to keep the pontoons clean. You can loose 5 to 10 mph with just a film of algae on them.

By the way the real speed trick is to keep the pontoons clean. You can loose 5 to 10 mph with just a film of algae on them.

+++ Amen to that! Nothing like spending extra cash to get performance only to lose it due to alge build up.

I have a 2007 2275 with a F90hp. I get 17 mph with full tank 3 adults and a couple of coolers.  My boat is clean and polished running at almost 7000ft. 

I had a 2010 2075 GLi with a Yamaha 90, if I remember correctly it was around 26 with my wife and I, but never played around with switching props at all.

Back