52” Ski Pylon

Charlie_Lake_Conroe

Reaction score
Finally getting my 25 QSBW ready for the grandkids and tubing. I attached my 52” Ski Pylon, the rope and the tube, put in gear just to get the hang of it. It looks like the rope sits on top of the outboard. Once I get to plane (either empty tube or with me on it - had to test before I put precious cargo on the tube), clearance between the rope and outboard looks ok. Is this normal? Seems like you will need to be really careful as you accelerate to get to plane.

When I built my Bennington, the only options were for a 46 or 52 pylon (no turbo swing).

upload_2019-6-11_21-10-35.jpeg

upload_2019-6-11_21-11-2.jpeg

upload_2019-6-11_21-11-33.jpeg

When we ordered our QX in February, a 54" was offered. We ordered it and shortly afterwards it wasn't an option.
We pick up the boat Thursday so will be curious to see if it's actually 54.

We have a ski pylon on our 2019 23GSB ESP & so glad we got it. Haven't had any issues with clearance. (Same set-up as yours with swim platform & pylon except in the G series) Once you get going the rope clears the top of the motor & we have never had it snag or excessively rub on the motor cowling A few times when starting out slowly to get the line taut before accelerating we've had to pull the rope out from underneath the steering assist bars on either side of the motor. Not a big deal especially if you watch for it whenever you are starting out & it usually only happens after we've pulled someone in to change out riders since the rope had been pulled-up onto the swim platform. Be glad that you didn't get the Turbo Swing tow bar because you can't get anything you pull outside of the wake on turns which is what the kids usually enjoy the most. We also use a booster tube product which elevates the rope & helps reduce drag from the rope being in the water. Here is what it looks like & you can find this & comparable versions on Amazon or at other water sports product retailers. I'm sure the grand kids will have a blast.

51gdGRFa2nL.jpg

Be glad that you didn't get the Turbo Swing tow bar because you can't get anything you pull outside of the wake on turns which is what the kids usually enjoy the most.

Not to be snarky, but I have to honestly ask. Have you ever had a Turbo Swing?

We are going on our third year with one, and the statement above is 100% inaccurate. We wipe around in and out of wake all the time with ease. Perhaps you or someone you know had it installed improperly, or the wrong hull set up/hp to muster out of the wake...?

The Turbo Swing bar and rope pulley wheel swing all the way around AND behind the rear of the motor. Rope never touches any portion of the boat, and it slides in an arc all the way around the rear of the transom/motor. IN and OUT of wakes with ease and no issues.

That said, the ski pylons would be my second choice, and then tow bars third. Pylons were not an option on our SPS, so we went with the Turbo Swing in 2017. Other than cost (ouch), I strongly recommend the T.S.

Charlie, as ktowntn suggested, the rope does rest on the top of the cowling when there is no tension but once you are underway it's fine. We have the 52" and have never had a problem with using it. BTW, that's a monster of an engine pushing that Benny of yours around!

Not to be snarky, but I have to honestly ask. Have you ever had a Turbo Swing?

We are going on our third year with one, and the statement above is 100% inaccurate. We wipe around in and out of wake all the time with ease. Perhaps you or someone you know had it installed improperly, or the wrong hull set up/hp to muster out of the wake...?

The Turbo Swing bar and rope pulley wheel swing all the way around AND behind the rear of the motor. Rope never touches any portion of the boat, and it slides in an arc all the way around the rear of the transom/motor. IN and OUT of wakes with ease and no issues.

That said, the ski pylons would be my second choice, and then tow bars third. Pylons were not an option on our SPS, so we went with the Turbo Swing in 2017. Other than cost (ouch), I strongly recommend the T.S.

Had a Turbo Swing added to our boat before we got it in 2016 and have no regrets. We've used the booster for years since we had a bowrider before the current boat. Never a "can't get outside the wake" complaint. That being said, beautiful boat Charlie!

Attachments

• IMG_4013.JPG
    IMG_4013.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 16
Just an FYI, all tow lines are not created equal. Some are what I would call "standard duty" and some are "heavy duty". I needed a new one so I went with the more expensive "heavy duty" line. However, I quickly found out that it dragged in the water all the time, even at speed.

The next day I took it back and got the "standard duty" line and everything was back to normal (no dragging). I'd say that if you've got one of those huge four, six or ten passenger tubes you'd better go with the "heavy duty" line. Otherwise, the "standard" works just fine.

Back