600 HP V 12 Mercury Verado.....

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Have you heard about this?!?

Sorry Jack I didn't see that you had already posted it......

No Problem .:cool:

That new engine is projected to cost about $77000. Geez......

Just imagine. We can buy a new 2021 Ram 2500 diesel truck for less than that engine. Lol
Or a gas 1500 and a new Benny.

Some on the internet were speculating some kind of "green" announcement i.e. electric outboard. This is about as far from green as you can get!

Bennington is going to need a bigger transom for these... ESP++??
Weighs 1260 lbs......and I thought 775 lbs. for my I/O was alot!

I think 1250lb is the max capacity on my boat!

That 2-speed transmission has to add some significant weight and not sure how much practical benefit you get out it. Two 400R's make a pretty compelling case against a single 600, especially if going offshore. But then again this is probably targeting guys that run two or more OB's anyhow.

We need more "game changers" for the 150-300 crowd! C'mon Yamaha step it up!

I think 1250lb is the max capacity on my boat!

That 2-speed transmission has to add some significant weight and not sure how much practical benefit you get out it. Two 400R's make a pretty compelling case against a single 600, especially if going offshore. But then again this is probably targeting guys that run two or more OB's anyhow.

We need more "game changers" for the 150-300 crowd! C'mon Yamaha step it up!
Depending on the type of 2 speed it could be quite small/light and I would think it must have a big impact. For Mercury to spend the R&D time and money, the manufacturing costs involved, all for a limited market share this motor will appeal to.

Another good article here. Picture of the transmission, looks pretty beefy. I can't quite understand what they're saying but seems 1st gear has a lower reduction so the prop spins faster and gives these heavy boats better hole shot, and then goes into second with more reduction to give better fuel efficiency. Novel for sure, but adding cost, complexity and weight in exchange for some hole shot - as you noted Semp there has to be some bigger benefit here.

Attachments

• 9575AC99-FB98-44A1-BF42-9D04C802EE3D.jpeg
    9575AC99-FB98-44A1-BF42-9D04C802EE3D.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 10
Back