62 and a newbi your help would be welcome

vman

Reaction score
I am spending the winter on Hutchinson island. I have a home on the intercostal / Indian river lagoon very close to the Fort pierce inlet. I have never owned a boat. the closest dealer sells South bay they look solid. But I don't want to make a mistake thinking 5- to 10 years out. I Tried to spec out a boat on the website but was impossible for me. So I would like any suggestions. I most of the time will have 2-6 people on boat, I want comfort first, I will do some fishing but mostly hanging and running down to Stewart and up to Vero. I am practical thinking 20 -22 feet 150 hp i like the Honda warranty. I would like to have a bit of understanding before engaging a sales person. I want easy so I will use the boat a lot the only feature I must have is the extended rear deck. Thanks all finally has anyone dealt with the dealership in Stuart which is about 40 minutes away

Welcome to the forum! Don't think you can go wrong with a Bennington and the ten year warranty. I think you'd find that a 22" SPS (tri-hull) with a 150 on the back will do just fine for what you expect to use it for. Resale should be very good on that unit as well. Extended deck is a must have for most on this site. Others are sure to chime in with their thoughts as well. Good luck with your decision...

Plus one on Michiman’s comments. The best advise I got when looking for our boat was from this forum. “Buy your last boat first.” Believe after reading many posts it is much cheaper that way. Spend some time and review this forum, many knowledgeable people belong here and are more than willing to help. I would also strongly recommend you taking a boater safety course. Bennington’s are great boats.

Talk to Tommy at seagate marine in Stuart. I’m not far from you in Palm City. I’ve talked to him a few times and he seems very knowledgeable and helpful. We moved from Michigan so we bought up there.

Minimum 22', 150 hp, SPS, aft ext. The rest is just furniture, storage and pick your colors. Visit all makes and models and see what layout you prefer and go order your Benni with that layout.

Minimum 22', 150 hp, SPS, aft ext. The rest is just furniture, storage and pick your colors. Visit all makes and models and see what layout you prefer and go order your Benni with that layout.

Wow, great and succinct advice -- love it!

You didn't mention whose website you tried to spec a boat .

Talk to Tommy at seagate marine in Stuart. I’m not far from you in Palm City. I’ve talked to him a few times and he seems very knowledgeable and helpful. We moved from Michigan so we bought up there.
thanks i will do keep you posted i take it was a good experience

If you like cruising and friends aboard, I’d look at the rear radius lounger model (mirrors front loungers), next would be the Swingback (very popular) then maybe the regular rear lounger model. Figure out your budget, your MUST HAVES, then decide on your model line. The great thing is, the S series offers probably all the options on the mid-high range $$$ models now.

Hutchinson Island is a beautiful area! Brother in law, sister in law have a place in Port St. Lucie and have been to all of the close beaches within 20 mins of their house. There's a really good New England seafood place near the bridge that goes over to the island. Hmm!

Daril, let me know the next time you make it down here!

Couple minutes south. We’re in Palm City. It’s literally a stones throw away. Small world!

I wanted to give every one an update looks like a 22ssxdi this should have extended deck,sps salt water anode, shark hide, pop cleats, wave tamer, battery turn off, heavy duty rub rail,simard fish / gps, privacy enclose, bimi top led lighting, 46 inch ski pylon, privacy enclosure, cup holders Yamaha 150.

this dealer only sells Yamaha engines so??????? my questions are buy your last boat first upgrade to a 200 hp with power steering? If I want more aft room do the fishing chairs pop easily is there a plug or should I consider a cruising model with the live well option in a seat I am not an avid fisherman and if I buy an ottoman with cooler I can back there on that?

I suggest going with the 200 and power steering. Also, are the strakes sealed? If this is a salt water boat I would recommend adding those. I enjoy fishing but we went with a more family layout SSLX. I typically move around too much and am making casts so sitting in a chair doesn't fit my fishing style. I do wish I had the extended deck though.

yes sealed stakes sounds like we are on same page I will look up your model for seating

I can fish just fine from our 24SSL (like Andy's, it is not a fishing model), as long as you don't mind standing. The aft deck, the bow deck, and even the port gate area (with the bimini down) easily allow three people to cast without getting in each other's way. Not even close.

You can always sit on the deck (bow or aft) with your feet in the water. If you need to sit, and/or if standing back up is a chore due to your age, you probably should get the fishing chairs.

Back