8.2 with a Bravo 3

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought his 1st Bennington. 

It is 25 ft with the ESP Performance package with a 8.2 liter and a Bravo 3 turning a 26P prop set. 

Now I know this is a very heavy engine setup and I am trying to get all the numbers. 

Top speed is 40 mph and the RPMs aren't reaching where there should. 

Now I don't know what the RPR range should be but only 40 MPH doesn't sound right. 

Does anyone else have that setup?

What are your numbers?

Thanks 

How did that happen?

Big Blocks Specs

Boat Model:      2575 QCW I/O

Model Year:      2014

Tubes:               ESP with Sealed Lifting Strakes, Under Deck Wave Shield

Power:               502 HO (430 hp)

Drive:                 Bravo III X

Props:                Bravo III XR Pro, 27 Pitch

Load:                  Normal Gear, 1 Adult (165lbs), 36 gallons fuel

Performance:    57.2 GPS @ 4,950 RPM

Not positive that is the dual props, but definitely faster than 40!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice that the duo prop setup that the primary prop is a 4 blade instead of a 3 blade.

That may make a difference. (I'm not familiar with the Bravo 3 Duo prop setups)

Update,

It's a 8.2 430hp bravo 3, current max rpm's4000, top speed 40 mph turning a 26 pitch prop set.

The Mercury prop selector tool say he needs a 22p Prop set.

Rpm range is 4600 to 5000.

We have a friend with a 5.7 mag and a bravo3. Not sure what his prop pitch is but we may try swapping them to maybe see what the big block needs.

My I/O  is about half his HP (220) and it'll do over 40. Then again it's only a 22 footer and lighter. It came with a 17P Mercury Mirage Plus SS prop.......

Obviously, something is not correct. What is the RPM at WOT? More important, what is the altitude where he is running the boat? This will make a big difference. When I had my conquest with a 525, I ran a 24p. (However, for lake powell, I had to run a 22p due to the elevation.) I tried a labbed 26p. It lowered my RPM's a bit and kept me from hitting the rev limiter, but the holeshot and getting on plane was terrible. Also, I lost top end. Some shops have shop props that they will let you test. I would start with a bravo 22p and log the temp, altitude, speed and RPM. Lastly, how are you measuring the speed? Hopefully he has a GPS speedo and not a non GPS speedo--which, in my opinion, are worthless. The 22P should put you in the correct RPM range.

Cheers, Steve

Steve, I think that he needs either a 21 or 22 pitch. Trying to find one to test. 

Latest update.

We think that there is a throttle linkage issue as we can't get it over 3800 in neutral.

Time to get under the hood!

Back