A Better Mooring Connection solution Needed

Kimberly A

Reaction score
We are on a mooring and the center connection for the mooring line is about 10" under the bow. Hard to reach ,nevermind see . Any ideas to make this process easier ? (Other than just an extension line ?- which I really don't want dragging off the front or cluttering up the platform) thought I saw a harness that works with the 2 pontoon connectors somewhere . ? TIA you

Attachments

• 991BF309-516C-4993-8E4F-E792956BD6B2.jpeg
    991BF309-516C-4993-8E4F-E792956BD6B2.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 89
  • C14B04E3-D73D-4DFA-9288-511EC3EAEE46.jpeg
    C14B04E3-D73D-4DFA-9288-511EC3EAEE46.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 85
Coming from some one that has never been around mooring balls how does that work you just leave the front tied off and it is setting out there spinning around in the wind? How do you get back to the shore?

May seem crazy but other than movies and tv I haven’t ever seen mooring fields for boats.

Yes pretty much . We are on lake Winni (NH) and for a mere $3000 a year you can have a floating ball of foam 20 yarda off shore.
Thankfully in our development we also have a dock master who is available 8am to 8pm to bring you to your mooring in a dinghy.
There is an art to laying out a mooring field and there is also a limit to the length of boat allowed on the mooring . People generally keep their bimini tops down when on the mooring and when the wind blows or the waves crash , everyone's boat swings the same way.

Sounds interesting. But I have to say im glad we don’t have them Makes me appreciate the covered slips at the marina even more.

We are on a mooring and the center connection for the mooring line is about 10" under the bow. Hard to reach ,nevermind see . Any ideas to make this process easier ? (Other than just an extension line ?- which I really don't want dragging off the front or cluttering up the platform) thought I saw a harness that works with the 2 pontoon connectors somewhere . ? TIA you
Welcome to the forum Kimberly. We have been to your beautiful lake but it has been years. Why don't you use one of the "eyelets" that are located in the front of your pontoons for your connection. They would be readily accessible. Do you have 2 pontoons or a tritoon???

Thanks , I guess I didn't know if they were designed for that . Will try. We have a pontoon.

Last edited:
Thanks , I guess I didn't know if they were designed for that . Will try. We have a pontoon.
We use our center eyelet to winch our boat onto the trailer. It's a viable option to use for your mooring ball application.

Could you "extend" the eyelet out by making a short 12" - 16" cable (loops, clamps, etc) one end permanently attached to the eyelet and the other used to attach the mooring ball? You could then add something closer to the front to secure the cable when not used for mooring.

My In laws R series is moored on their lake. They have a clip running to each eyelet on the outer toons. That way if one comes off the other will hold. Let me see if I can find a photo.

Not sure if you found your answer yet but we had a boat shop make us one. It was basically made from thick mooring line and carabiners. The main line connects to the mooring ball and it splits out into two lines with each of those connecting to the eyelets on the front of each pontoon.

It wasn't very cheap but it's a little more piece of mind so I didn't worry about the boat floating down the lake in a storm.

I thought I had a photo that I could show you but I don't. Hoping to get back on the boat in next week or so. If you still need assistance let me know and I can take some photos for you.

Back