A Heavy Seas Story

H2GO

Reaction score
We are vacationing on Torch lake this week and I wanted to share what happened on Sunday. We were out at the sand bar area which is 12 miles from the cottage rental. It was a pretty nice day with partly sunny skies. At about 3:30 the police were announcing a storm from the east was coming and advised everyone to leave immediately. There were four of us on the Benny and we were under way in a few minutes. The seas quickly got worse and we were in 2-1/2 foot waves in no time and we were all getting soaked. I decided to see how she would take the waves at full throttle instead of the bouncy slow cruise. It was really crazy how the Benny was able to glide right over the tops of the waves and we stopped getting spayed. We were passing speed boats that were just getting pounded and other pontoons taking water over the bow. I’m here to say I was able to throughly test out the under skinning and the sound integrity of the Benny. We never felt one surge or shake that made it feel unsafe. I’m glad I had the chance to really test out the quality construction of a Bennington. It’s nice to know it’s there when we really need it.

Been there! Walks right over the top of the rough water. Nice to know you can go when you need to.

I've been in heavy seas multiple times this year with the same experience; she gets up out of the water and rides the waves with impunity. A very solid and dry ride for sure!

We are vacationing on Torch lake this week and I wanted to share what happened on Sunday. We were out at the sand bar area which is 12 miles from the cottage rental. It was a pretty nice day with partly sunny skies. At about 3:30 the police were announcing a storm from the east was coming and advised everyone to leave immediately. There were four of us on the Benny and we were under way in a few minutes. The seas quickly got worse and we were in 2-1/2 foot waves in no time and we were all getting soaked. I decided to see how she would take the waves at full throttle instead of the bouncy slow cruise. It was really crazy how the Benny was able to glide right over the tops of the waves and we stopped getting spayed. We were passing speed boats that were just getting pounded and other pontoons taking water over the bow. I’m here to say I was able to throughly test out the under skinning and the sound integrity of the Benny. We never felt one surge or shake that made it feel unsafe. I’m glad I had the chance to really test out the quality construction of a Bennington. It’s nice to know it’s there when we really need it.
Now you know how it is here on Lake of the Ozarks in the main channel at 2 pm on any Saturday or holiday weekend. Our new Benny just cuts through the waves/wakes like butter. We pass many other open bowriders and deck boats and its fun to see the disgust on their captains' faces!

Yes it's a much better ride when you're up on plane at speed......

Glad you made it back safe!

Back