A lot of new S and G series boats, why no R and Q's?

goldnrod24

Reaction score
I'm enjoying hearing about all of the new Benningtons being ordered and purchased. The trend seems to be toward the S and G series boats. These are the lower end models. Does this mean that folks are wanting a premium boat, but are still looking for (perceived) value? The R and Q series boats are superb, yet we're not hearing much from new owners.

Does this mimic historic sales trends or is it a sign of something else?

We went with a G series due to what layouts there were, level of "plushness", and interior space for size of boat. Our primary reason for having a pontoon is taking our dogs(labs) out on the lake. This is our 2nd "toon". Our first one we bought used 4 years ago. Now that we used it for a few seasons we decided to spec one out with what we wanted. We also have a 23ft bowrider that we take out every weekend we are at the lake. But,,,the kids(our 3 labs) get at least 1 day on the water each weekend.

I have a new 2275 RCW with ESP on order. It is the black one with the mesa trim package. I had the elevated helm installed. I am having the Mercury Verado 250 put on it. Like I have said on other posts, this is my "mid-life crisis" boat.

The reason I chose the R over one of the others was it has some upgrades at the helm the others don't.

I have been around boats all my life. Finally decided to take the plunge and get my own.

So, mark me down for one from the R and Q column. LOL

I have a 2575 QCW I/O on order. Should get it beginning of April. I love the rear facing lounges. I am trying to figure out where I want the grill mounted and if I could mount a TV and use Slingbox to watch some games on the boat. I might need a tiny generator for that.

I have a 2575 QCW I/O on order. Should get it beginning of April. I love the rear facing lounges. I am trying to figure out where I want the grill mounted and if I could mount a TV and use Slingbox to watch some games on the boat. I might need a tiny generator for that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah. Just get a dual battery setup and an inverter. They do that in tennis mom suburbans all the time. Heck, some even have Wii's installed for the kids. Why wouldn't it work on a boat?

I conciderd the R series but purchased the FSi w/ESP because the floor plan fit our lifestyle. One of the things we liked best about Bennington was we could get a quality luxury boat boat without having to buy a top of the line model.

Boomers dad

The R and Q series are sweet for sure! But, we ordered the 2574GCW with Port Group upgraded R-series chairs and some other stuff. We live in upstate NY and our season is about 6 months (shorter for the wife and kids). It is also our first boat and wanted the best (perceived) value we could get. You have to admit boats are not cheep and if you want a quality one then brace yourself for serious hit. We are happy with the choice and can't wait for the first cruise. And if you are cruising by on your R or Q please pull up next to us to we can share notes...

I just bought a 2011 20 SLi with the 70hp yamaha. My main reason was cost. I have three children and my oldest getting really to start collage so I got what I could afford. Trust me I would have loved to got one of the higher end series. I live on a small lake and will enjoy my pontoon every day.

I just bought a 2011 20 SLi with the 70hp yamaha. My main reason was cost. I have three children and my oldest getting really to start collage so I got what I could afford. Trust me I would have loved to got one of the higher end series. I live on a small lake and will enjoy my pontoon every day.
Congratulations on your new boat!! Can't wait to see your pictures! We just picked up our 2011 SLI with a 50hp. (See my new thread!) You will LOVE IT!

Our reason wasn't cost. We just saw it at the Chicago Boat Show and fell in love with it. Our old pontoon was a 20 foot with a 40hp and it was the perfect size for us for cruising. I think that what really matters. Get whatever floats your boat!!
wink.gif

Our best friend just bought a 45 foot Hunter DS (sailboat) last summer....so we have our pontoon for weeknight sunsets on the river....and sailing on Lake Michigan out of Racine on the weekends. We are saving our pennies to buy our next boat in 12 years when we retire. A 44 foot Leopard Catamaran (sailboat)....with a permanent home in South Florida!!
cool.gif

LIFE IS GOOD!!

Our 20 SLi just made total sense. We could have easily went with a larger TOON.

We just could not see a reason to go larger. The 20' meets our needs.

Here are a few reasons why we chose the 20 foot SLi and love it!

As soon as we saw the color combo we really liked it.

Seats 11- doubtful this will ever happen.

Being a 20' boat its an easy boat to trailer, launch and load if heading out solo for the day.

Much easier, quicker to keep clean and maintain and cover at the end of the day.

(when looking to purchase, many of the larger used TOONS we looked at just were not kept clean

and it gave the appearance the previous owners just got tired of cleaning a large TOON. This caused us to take pause.... yikes!)

70hp Yammaha sips fuel and gives us all the thirll we want. And pushes our TOON nicely.

99.9% of the time its just the two of us, so we have plenty of room.

I have noticed that most of pontoon's owned on our lake are 20' to 22' models.

So there you have it.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back