A New Boat...Maybe

Shawn

Reaction score
Going to go to the dealer today to price out a new Bennington. We currently have a 2011 24SLi with 115hp OptiMax. Two of the three boys are or will be in college soon so wife and I find it is just us on the boat most of the time. Also, I enjoy fishing, so considering a build similar to this:

21 SF or 21 SFX or 21 SFXAPG (I really cant figure out the difference between these models, other than the price).
-Likely major options: 150 Yamaha 4 stroke (wasn't planning on the SHO, not sure what the 2K really gets me) in floor storage, ski tow bar, fish graph, kicker upgrade, SPS Performance Package, docking lights, heavy duty rub rail, trolling motor gate and harness. Thinking about passing on angler station and rod locker as we store the boat in a slip in the summer and I won't want to leave rods and tackle in the boat anyway.

Am I missing any major options? Anyone else have a similar sized fishing model? I'm still trying to work out the model differences and figure out which will be closest to the SLi trim that we are used to and is fine.

It will be interesting to see what the dealer offers on the 2011 24SLi, I believe it around or just under 150 hours and is in good shape with no repairs necessary, except for a small section of stitching in the cover.

Shawn

Looks like Santa is coming early for you! Congratulations on your new Benny! Looks like a nice build you have going but I'd also suggest the extended aft option. Pictures a must when she's delivered...

I briefly looked at the different models and didn't see where the differences were. Maybe the available options for the interior and engines are different between them?

The only thing you mentioned that I'd exlude from the build is the fish graph. For what you pay for that option , you'll get so much more from something like a Humminbird unit instead. I had the graph on my first boat and don't think much of them. I've always used Humminbird on my v bottoms and ended up putting one on anyway because the factory graph is kinda useless and it's mounted where its not the easiest to see.

I have a Helix 7 mounted on a Ram mount and what that thing does for the money compared to the factory graph is not even close! The contour maps are awesome when you install them into the unit. A big help in navigation on unfamiliar water too. Pair it up with a Minn Kota and you'll be good to go!

Ditto the extended aft deck recommendation. I’d think that would be a nice addition for anyone, let alone if you are fishing. Are you doing underskinning? Certainly is nice, but that may hamper your after market fish graph options if you are.

Well, got back from the dealer. Never actually got a real price quote as he suggested that I wait until closer to the boat show for pricing. I asked a general question about the differences between the models and never really got an answer, other than heavy duty rub rails. In any event, they had a 21SF in stock so I could at least see a similar boat. He did say that the SPS has an extended rear deck - I don't see any option on the boat builder tool for the aft deck.

His sale price today was somewhere around a 3.5% discount before freight and prep and trailer. He also quoted freight/prep from Bennington and freight/prep from dealer. The freight prep from the manufacturer is at about 1000 more than what they estimate the freight to be on the build a boat site. Not sure why I would pay prep to the manufacturer. I understand the dealer prep (i.e. batteries, rigging, prop, testing, etc.) but not freight from dealer.

He also offered $2200 less than what I thought was reasonable on the trade, but I don't see the trade as an issue.

Bottom line was I told him to call/email me when he had the best deal possible in hand - and if it's reasonable we will have a deal. Not sure what "reasonable" is but it's not 3% and odd freight/prep charges.

Shawn

Ditto the extended aft deck recommendation. I’d think that would be a nice addition for anyone, let alone if you are fishing. Are you doing underskinning? Certainly is nice, but that may hamper your after market fish graph options if you are.
I don't see an aft deck option available. The underskinning is part of the SPS option, as far as I can tell.

Are you doing underskinning? Certainly is nice, but that may hamper your after market fish graph options if you are.

Mine is underskinned and there were no issues at all running wires for the fish finder. I used a fiberglass fish tape to pull the wires through the floor crossmembers and along the top of the tube. Installed everything myself in just over an hour but having an extra hand to help would make it a breeze.

The dealer here is offering 18% below MSRP as a reference point for you. He said prices are better now than they will be at the boat shows in a couple months due. to demand.

The dealer here is offering 18% below MSRP as a reference point for you. He said prices are better now than they will be at the boat shows in a couple months due. to demand.
Thanks - good info. I would of probably done that deal today - the dealer seemed to want to wait for boat show incentives to be released. I would of done a deal today at 18% discount, agreement on the trade, and if the boat show offered some factory incentive between now and then, that gets passed along. He suggested incentive could be 750 and upgraded motor warranty.

Am I correct in assuming I should pay freight from factory (similar to estimates on Bennington build a boat site) and prep to the dealer? The quick estimate they provided had prep and freight to both as a Bennington and dealer charge. Separate line items..

My original invoice showed 0 cost for freight, but it did show a cost for dealer prep, but for me that all becomes irrelevant as I like to negotiate to an all in price that I think is reasonable. I don’t care how they split the cash between dealer and manufacturer. I don’t know how much we are allowed to advise on this website, there are rules I’m not yet fully familiar with, but generally I would say to shop around if your dealer is at 3% off MSRP. If you are in Ohio, look to Michigan dealers.

My original invoice showed 0 cost for freight, but it did show a cost for dealer prep, but for me that all becomes irrelevant as I like to negotiate to an all in price that I think is reasonable. I don’t care how they split the cash between dealer and manufacturer. I don’t know how much we are allowed to advise on this website, there are rules I’m not yet fully familiar with, but generally I would say to shop around if your dealer is at 3% off MSRP. If you are in Ohio, look to Michigan dealers.
I agree - only the bottom line is relevant. I'll give the dealer a couple weeks to figure out pricing - and give him the benefit of doubt that he expects some boat show incentives. I won't beg to spend my money with this dealer but he seems confident he can get pricing and a boat delivered around April. We will see...

I've been exploring other dealers and I'm good with going to Michigan if necessary. However, a dealer close to home would be my preference.

Just remember, it’s not all about price. It’s also about service after the sale. There’s a cost to that, that’s hard to put a “number” too. Also, if you buy from another dealer and go to this one for warranty/service, expect to go to the rear of the line ...

Just remember, it’s not all about price. It’s also about service after the sale. There’s a cost to that, that’s hard to put a “number” too. Also, if you buy from another dealer and go to this one for warranty/service, expect to go to the rear of the line ...
Yes, you are correct. I've experienced that before. This dealer is within 20 min of home and will be convenient.

How big is the dealer, and how busy or backed up are they typically for service work? I think that is a factor. If they are often BACKED UP, then the above is certainly a factor. Albiet, one I would want in writing: I buy from you, you put in writing I go to the front of the line OR at least the back of the line of those that bought from you that are at the front of it. :)

Short of that, I don’t trust that assurance beyond its ability to put pressure on me the buyer to buy from them. Frankly, this time of year, 3% off MSRP is a joke. :mad: That’s an absurdly low amount given what you can get elsewhere, and it’s potentially enough to offset the other benefits. Keep in mind that the industry average is ballparking 20%. 20%! :cool:

That said, living in Michigan, we are dealer and service center rich with all of our lakes. There are lots of options. Hence, I realize I have market flexibility that perhaps many do not. Here, I’d be politely crystal clear. Want my business? You need to be exceptionally competitive on price AND service. If you cannot be, then I will take my business elsewhere. And I also share that since I don’t really service my equipment, if you are treating me right in purchase and service, you will get plenty of business and referrals from me.

I am high maintenance. I am also high reward. ;)

The difference between the SFX and the SFXAPG is that APG stands for "aft port gate." There are TWO aft gates, with standing room on the aft deck and ready access for both anglers in the stern of the boat (which, in the SFX/SFXAPG models, is where the fishing set up is.)

My wife and I have a 2018 22 SFXAPG and we love it. The boat is party in the bow and fishing astern.

Last edited:
Discounts should be taken into consideration when they’re substantial...

We live in Oregon and purchased our new 2019 25QSB in Missouri...

Local dealer was around a 10% discount...

Missouri was over 30%...

That’s quite a bit of money...

Well, finally got a quote. Had freight and prep listed three times on the invoice for a total of $3690 and trade quote less than what they gave me on Saturday. I guess when I told him I wanted a serious quote he thought I'd want to pay more...sigh...

I called back and got it corrected - clerical error. They did slightly better on trade and marginally better than their original offer. Still not where I think they should be but closer. And their revised prep/freight charges seem much more reasonable.

I should have another quote soon from another Ohio dealer. I guess that will help determine whether my expectations on price and trade are unrealistic.

I expected a reasonable discount right from the get go and at least NADA trade value. Still waiting for that...

Shawn

That’s too bad, and doesn’t it always seem that clerical errors benefits those employing the clericals. Coming from Michigan, I would look for at least 20% off MSRP... with freight and prep included in that price. It may be worth the drive, and just tell a local dealer you just moved there from Michigan.

That’s too bad, and doesn’t it always seem that clerical errors benefits those employing the clericals. Coming from Michigan, I would look for at least 20% off MSRP... with freight and prep included in that price. It may be worth the drive, and just tell a local dealer you just moved there from Michigan.
I gave them a number this time - MSRP, minus the discount I keep seeing mentioned, adding full price trailer, freight / prep, doc. fee, tax, minus the original trade values they provided. No response from them...

Back