A New Boat...Maybe

Well, finally got a quote. Had freight and prep listed three times on the invoice for a total of $3690 and trade quote less than what they gave me on Saturday. I guess when I told him I wanted a serious quote he thought I'd want to pay more...sigh...

I called back and got it corrected - clerical error. They did slightly better on trade and marginally better than their original offer. Still not where I think they should be but closer. And their revised prep/freight charges seem much more reasonable.

I should have another quote soon from another Ohio dealer. I guess that will help determine whether my expectations on price and trade are unrealistic.

I expected a reasonable discount right from the get go and at least NADA trade value. Still waiting for that...

Shawn

Seems to be a struggle to get a quote from 2nd dealer as well. Provided them the build sheet, photos of trade, and asked for their best price. Been couple days and haven't heard anything - texted the sales person and never got a response. Maybe they are put off due to the special order? One more dealer was recommended - I'll give them a try today. Then I give up - I'll save my money...

Shawn

Seems to be a struggle to get a quote from 2nd dealer as well. Provided them the build sheet, photos of trade, and asked for their best price. Been couple days and haven't heard anything - texted the sales person and never got a response. Maybe they are put off due to the special order? One more dealer was recommended - I'll give them a try today. Then I give up - I'll save my money...

Shawn

I think part of the key is scheduling an appointment to go in and look at options in person. For me, I think that personal contact shows and investment - I am serious, I am ready to order, and I am willing to come in to your dealership in person to discuss prices. That might get you further as they may see you as a more serious potential customer buying from them vs. the possibility that you are just soliciting prices as a negotiating ploy with someone else.

Shawn

When I get a customer coming in “asking for my best price”, I know where I stand. I’m not the cheapest, but I’m the best. There’s a value to my price. Just my 2 cents ....

I agree with my fellow Spartan. Go in person and talk options. You are there, in person, talking about options and prices, and most importantly you’re ready to sign if you get a price you are comfortable with. Now that you have done your homework and know the options you’d like and your price, it makes it easier once you sit down with the salesperson.

Well, I did end up with a price from a competing dealer $300 higher than the first dealer...

So, the first dealer and I spoke again - they gave another $2k. As it stands, they are 8.5% under MSRP on the boat/motor package; their freight and prep is reasonable; the trailer is probably at their list price; they are giving somewhere around $1300 higher than what NADA trade in value is on my pontoon, and 5 years on the Yamaha motor (boat show special).

Doesn't seem like I'll be able to do much better and I'm not sure it's worth it to screw around much more for maybe a bit more savings. It is an S series, although the motor and SPS adds a bunch...Maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

I asked for the contract to be updated to ensure a SS prop, confirm a model number for the trailer, and throw in a quick release mounting plate for my Minn Kota, and I'll probably do the deal.

It sounds like you are about set to make the deal. Through it all, it sounds like you got a little better price than first quoted, but also are likely pulling the trigger with the initial dealership you wanted to do business with in the first place. Perhaps it is a win-win for you and them.?. Hopefully once you sign the contract order, the unpleasant parts of the process/costs fade away and you can renew your focus on the excitement of your ordered boat.

Congratulations!!! Seems after all you’ve been through you got a good deal there. Enjoy the boat, that’s all that counts now!!

I think part of the key is scheduling an appointment to go in and look at options in person. For me, I think that personal contact shows and investment - I am serious, I am ready to order, and I am willing to come in to your dealership in person to discuss prices. That might get you further as they may see you as a more serious potential customer buying from them vs. the possibility that you are just soliciting prices as a negotiating ploy with someone else.
I did visit the dealer that is close to home. I did not visit the other two that are 2-3 hours away. I was taking the approach that I knew exactly what I wanted and they didn't have anything close in stock. But yes, I agree, I would think a trip to the dealer should result in being taken as a serious buyer.

When I get a customer coming in “asking for my best price”, I know where I stand. I’m not the cheapest, but I’m the best. There’s a value to my price. Just my 2 cents ....
I get it and am not seeking out just the lowest price. My approach was simple - I told them I was ready to buy immediately if they can present their best possible deal. I was trying to avoid a bunch of negotiation.

I did visit the dealer that is close to home. I did not visit the other two that are 2-3 hours away. I was taking the approach that I knew exactly what I wanted and they didn't have anything close in stock. But yes, I agree, I would think a trip to the dealer should result in being taken as a serious buyer.
what part of ohio are you from?

Perhaps a dumb question and I'm over thinking it...

No problem with installing the bow mount Minn Kota with the SPS package? Obviously not an issue on my existing two toon model...

Perhaps a dumb question and I'm over thinking it...

No problem with installing the bow mount Minn Kota with the SPS package? Obviously not an issue on my existing two toon model...

If you do a search in these forums under trolling motors, there are a number of posts over the last year that deal with mounting them. I know a fair number were on SPS set ups, with some very good ideas from those owners.

Ordered the boat. Deposit and trade dropped off today...

21SF SPS, Smokey Granite / No accent panel
150HP Yamaha
Smokey Granite Canvas
Ski Pylon
In Floor Storage
Trolling Motor Harness and Gate
Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Kicker KMC10 Speaker Upgrade
Striker 4 Fish Graph
Zebrawood Beige Trim
Platinum Monotone / Simtex Vinyl Upgrade / Carbon Diamante Accent
Seagrass Beige Flooring
HDD Rub Rail
SS Propeller
Quick Mount Minn Kota Trolling Motor Bracket
5 Year Yamaha Warranty
Yacht Club Trailer

Forgot the docking lights but sent the dealer an email to get it added...

Shawn

Congratulations. Looks nice. Now the wait until our mid-west summer returns so you can put it in the water.

Sounds like a nice build. Looking forward to seeing pics once it comes in.

Ordered the boat. Deposit and trade dropped off today...

21SF SPS, Smokey Granite / No accent panel
150HP Yamaha
Smokey Granite Canvas
Ski Pylon
In Floor Storage
Trolling Motor Harness and Gate
Kicker Speaker Upgrade
Kicker KMC10 Speaker Upgrade
Striker 4 Fish Graph
Zebrawood Beige Trim
Platinum Monotone / Simtex Vinyl Upgrade / Carbon Diamante Accent
Seagrass Beige Flooring
HDD Rub Rail
SS Propeller
Quick Mount Minn Kota Trolling Motor Bracket
5 Year Yamaha Warranty
Yacht Club Trailer

Forgot the docking lights but sent the dealer an email to get it added...

Shawn

If you can see if they can do the KMC20 (satellite), if not, unless they changed antenna setup, don’t expect a lot of stations. If you stream music though, KMC10 is great!
Does it have the extended aft deck? That’s worth the price, especially for fishing!

If you can see if they can do the KMC20 (satellite), if not, unless they changed antenna setup, don’t expect a lot of stations. If you stream music though, KMC10 is great!
Does it have the extended aft deck? That’s worth the price, especially for fishing!
I recall the KMC20 as an option. I only get one station where we boat at now so we typically just stream.

As far as the extended aft, it doesn't show it in the builder tool but the dealer said all boats with SPS get extended aft. I'm not sure that is accurate since I can't find that indicated anywhere else. So, I don't think so...

Back