A poll to support Rob's question - What outboard?

What outboard are you running?

• Mercury

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • other

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • n/a (have an I/O)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Well it must be a Ben thing because we have a Suzuki also so that makes two of us. Suzuki probably makes the best engine out there even though they aren't the most popular at least that is what I determined.

I'm in complete agreement. Suzuki is by far the best motor money can buy. I had a Suzuki 225 on my last boat. 6 years run very hard in salt water and never had the 1st problem with it. Now that I'm in KY, it's practically impossible to find anyone to sell/service them.

I am in KY and there is a fairly large dealer near Rough River called Protech Marine; they actually sell and service every brand but their favorite is Suzuki.

Well, being that it is new I am still trying to hone in on a good answer to that but generally speaking about 42 mph (at least the dealer was confident I would see north of 40). I have seen north of 40 but most of my use so far I have had 4 grown adults and we weren't in a go fast mood. I don't think I will see north of 40 with a crowd. I tell you one thing, you can run wide open and still have a normal conversation because it is so quiet. I have to look at the rpm just to see if its running.

I have the performance package that has the original tritiin design with 3 25" round tubes with lifting strakes and wave shield.

I will report back with more info on engine rpm and speed.

I just took delivery of my 2011 2275 RCW LTD with 225 Mercury Verado last week. I can't believe how quiet this engine is. When the dealer took me out, we were having a normal conversation at 5,000 RPM's. I couldn't believe I didn't have to shout. At some points I had to look at my RPM's to make sure the engine was still running. If you are looking for quite so you can listen to your tunes from your iPod, then the Verado is a nice fit. With the all electronic throttle, I can't believe how smooth it is. Overall, just a nice package. Plus, being from Wisconsin, glad to support the local economy with Mercury!

The Verado is a great motor.

Too bad Mercury doesn't feel as loyal as you. Guess where they're planning to manufacture some/all of their engines in the very near future????? That's right......MEXICO!!!!!!! The same as Polaris Industries is planning to build their snowmobile/RV engines in Mexico. Sad.
What are our U.S. companies thinking???? This would be really sad.

Well, I promissed I would provide an update to my performance after my 4th holiday. First let me say that I had a fantastic time, boat performed beautifully in very rough water.

Regarding engine performance. Well, it seems I am capping out at 5500 rpm which is the bottom range of recommended so maybe my prop setup isn't ideal, anyone have any comments?. I had three good sized adults 200+ plus a full tank of gas in rough water and I topped out at about 35 mph. I have to admit I was hoping for 40+ but with those conditions it doesn't look like I am going to get there. Also keep in mind this is based off the speedo on the boat, which on a 2011 R series is supposed to be GPS controlled. So, should I be asking my dealer about a different prop pitch or am I splitting hairs? I don't know what's on there other than stainless steel.

Now, I will say the boat yanked me up on ski with no problem. I weight about 290 so that is no easy task. I have tried skiing behind lots of boats but none have done as well as this did.

It will unfortunately be a few weeks before I am able to get back to the lake but maybe the dealer will know what they put on it. I will check.

I appreciate your willingness to help. Thank you

It will unfortunately be a few weeks before I am able to get back to the lake but maybe the dealer will know what they put on it. I will check.

I appreciate your willingness to help. Thank you

Back