About to buy a 16-18’ S model....any advice for me?

Axdop

Reaction score
Hi, all,
After owning many boats, from 12’-40’, we’re about to buy out first pontoon. We live in SW FL, and will be boating on the Caloosahatchee River and the inshore Gulf areas. I want something small enough to fit in a 23’ deep garage on a trailer with a folding tongue. We’re thinking of a 16’ or 18’ S model. I’m sold on Bennington’s quality and construction. I’d appreciate any advice you would care to offer me.
Thanks!
Really excited!

Thanks, 2fast. You’re right. I am letting the garage dictate the boat size. We currently live in the water now, but we’re moving and building a new home off water. Just not practical to pay to store a boat....so, it’s either garage it, or bag the boat idea altogether. Life is changing for us, and this is a better plan. I have a 20’ center console now, which I’m selling in favor of the pontoon.
What aspects of the smaller boat do you see me regretting in the future? Space on board? Handling? These ate the things I’m looking yo find out. Thanks!

Welcome ! I totally agree with 2fast4u Go bigger now ! Build a bigger garage with your new home! Being your in Sw FL,why would you need to store your boat ? Keep us posted !

Thanks, 2fast. You’re right. I am letting the garage dictate the boat size. We currently live in the water now, but we’re moving and building a new home off water. Just not practical to pay to store a boat....so, it’s either garage it, or bag the boat idea altogether. Life is changing for us, and this is a better plan. I have a 20’ center console now, which I’m selling in favor of the pontoon.
What aspects of the smaller boat do you see me regretting in the future? Space on board? Handling? These ate the things I’m looking yo find out. Thanks!
Space, handling and resale are all reasons to buy a larger boat. You should be able to boat all year round in sw Fla. and use your garage for other toys.

Hi, gang,

I appreciate your input. Unfortunately, building a larger garage isn't an option in this community, and neither is outdoor storage. We either store the boat in our garage, or pay to store it elsewhere. I'm not willing to pay to store it. So, my choice is to buy a 16-18' pontoon...or a similarly-sized center console. So, that said....For our purposes (80% pleasure cruising with less than 5 people, 20% shallow in-shore fishing), it looks like we're leaning toward the pontoon for a change.
I've done the "Bigger is better" thing several times, having had a 34' Luhrs sportfisherman and a 34' Marinette Flybridge cruiser....and even had two 12' aluminum jon boats, with about six other boats in between from 20-30 feet. I'm definitely now in the "smaller is easier" category. Our small 20' center console serves our needs fairly well now, in terms of size...but I'd like more seating area for about 4-6 people max. It's more of a fishing boat, with seats for two and standing room for 2-3 more.
After nearly 40 years of boating, I've settled on the school of thought that no boat does it all, and that one has to really think about the most typical usage of a given boat. We both still work a lot, with two kids in college. Our boating usage will be sunsets and casual exploring and cruising, with the occasional in-shore snook and redfish trip. I'm comfortable that a 16-18' pontoon will serve our needs (mostly)...but I'm mostly curious about handling...
Smaller boats like these are harder to find in-stock, because they obviously aren't as popular as over-20' boats. Therefore, it's hard to find one to sea trial. Can anyone tell me how they handle? Is their short length an issue with ride and comfort? Like any small boat, I don't plan to go out in really choppy seas or high winds. I'll probably outfit the boat with a 40hp motor. Any ideas of what kind of performance it should deliver? Tope speed? Time to plane? etc?
Thanks again for your input.
-Axdop

I agree with it 2Fast, and would like to add “buy your last boat first.”

I'm over on the SE side of FL and would recommend one that you can have three toons under it. Not sure on your waters over there but I'm in the Stuart area and wouldn't want a two toon boat with the boat wakes and waves. I'm not sure if you can do that with an 18 though. can you go up to 20 and have a swing away trailer tongue?

Good point. I think their smallest tri-toon is a 20’. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to take measurements, but I’m afraid an 18’ with a swing away is the largest I can fit.

The main issue with a two toon on the caloosahatchee and inshore gulf is probably going to be the wake of the big boats. When I was doing a sea trial on my Tritoon, a big boat came by with a good 4-5 foot wake. My 22 foot Tritoon got up and over without swamping. A two toon behind me took water over the bow, it didn’t sink but it did flood them inside until the water could flow out.
If you are limited to two toons try and get the larger elliptical toons. That will increase your buoyancy.

Last edited:
The main issue with a two toon on the caloosahatchee and inshore gulf is probably going to be the wake of the big boats. When I was doing a sea trial on my Tritoon, a big boat came by with a good 4-5 foot wake. My 22 foot Tritoon got up and over without swamping. A two toon behind me took water over the bow, it didn’t sink but it did flood them inside until the water could flow out.
mid you are limited to two toons try and get the larger elliptical toons. That will increase your buoyancy.
Thanks very much! Really great advice!

Totally agree with the other posters. But I would also recommend you go with the max HP your toon is rated for. I have had three pontoons in my life so far and haven’t learned that lesson. The extra HP will get you the extra power you need to avoid trouble ( big wakes, pop up storms etc)

The 18’ with either a 90 or 115 motor will do the trick. I have 20SLXP w/ 115 and we love it... even in choppy water it handles great... not sure of a twin Toon.

If you are limited to two toons try and get the larger elliptical toons. That will increase your buoyancy.

I'll second that. Mine is 20' with two 23" diameter toons. It's usually just my wife and I and it works out great, I can top out at 21 mph with a 50hp motor. On a couple of occasions though, we've added two or three people totaling an additional 400-500 lbs and the difference is dramatic. The boat rides MUCH lower in the water and there's no way I can get it up on plane. She plows along at 12-13 mph and that's all she'll do. Not a huge problem on flat water but I wouldn't want to cross any big wakes like that. If I carried the extra load more often I would be thinking about adding a third log or buying a different boat. I'm not sure what's available as optional logs on the 16-18' boats but get the largest they offer.

The size of motor will add or subtract a few inches from your length... I know you're looking at a tight fit. And you've likely already thought of it, but just in case, don't forget to measure the motor.

Just a thought is build a small bump out on back of garage just high enough for motor to sit into the pocket ...

You can always turn the motor to one side to save a few inches too

Side story: I have a friend who was into tournament bass fishing. He figured out that if he backed his pride and joy into the garage at just the right angle he could shut the garage door. There was just one concession, the 250hp Merc had to stick through the small door that led into the kitchen. He obviously was married to a very tolerant woman. First time I walked into their kitchen I deadpanned "That's a hell of a blender, Teri."

Last edited:
Back