ACC rocker switch amp rating

SWR

Reaction score
I have a 2013 2575 RCW and I want to add some additional exterior lights. I want to use the existing ACC rocker switch which has a 5 amp breaker connected to it. The lights are around 10 amps max and I plan on changing out the breaker to a 10 amp breaker, but do you know if the switch itself is rated for 10 amps also ? Also I have battery selector for dual batteries and back in this area there is a master fuse of 40 amps going to the ships power. Just want to also make sure if I add 5 more amps of draw that I will not exceed the max limit on the system. Thanks

You can also run them through a relay, and that switch will be plenty. You'll only need minimal amperage to close the relay, then the source of power will pull from your battery. Just a suggestion since that what I did with my 12" light bar on the bow of my boat.

Thanks, can you explain how you wired the rocker switch thru the relay ? sounds like a good idea. Im trying to use my empty ACC switch to power a light bar Im installing in the front for additional lighting at night

If you get a relay it will have 4 terminals. They will be marked with #30 which is battery power, #87 will go to your lights, #85 is ground and #86 will be power from your switch. You will also need a ground for your lights. And......if you're talking about a docking light, that is the only time you can use it. You can't run around with it on.

Yes, Cwag explained it well. To give you an idea of it's function, just in case you are interested:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howrelayswork.html

By the way where did you tap the + positive power for the relay under the helm ? I won't be back at the lake until end of oct so I don't remember if there is a + bus bar to connect to, trying to avoid running all the way back to the batteries. Thank you !

By the way where did you tap the + positive power for the relay under the helm ? I won't be back at the lake until end of oct so I don't remember if there is a + bus bar to connect to, trying to avoid running all the way back to the batteries. Thank you !

A wiring harness came with my light bar, so I ran it just like you stated that you don't want to do. I ran it from the battery to the light bar, then with the switch leg of the harness, I ran it to the helm, to the switch that would power the live well.

Back