ACL/Knee Reconstruction and Boating Question(s)

Hopefully you have a full and speedy recovery. Luckily this isn’t the first year of having the boat so the deckhands should know the drill.

Excellent news and a chance for the rest of the crew to up their game. I've got every confidence that things will go smoothly and you'll have a great season.

I had knee surgery last month to reconnect my quad muscles to the patella/knee. Fortunately this did not happen in the middle of the summer. I do have some anxiety about boating with limited mobility, but the Dr. says I should be well on my way by May. I was recovering at my house on Crystal Lake up in your area last week. Good luck with the surgery.

Chris Mills - Beulah MI

Attachments

• IMG_6467.JPG
    IMG_6467.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 16
I had knee surgery last month to reconnect my quad muscles to the patella/knee. Fortunately this did not happen in the middle of the summer. I do have some anxiety about boating with limited mobility, but the Dr. says I should be well on my way by May. I was recovering at my house on Crystal Lake up in your area last week. Good luck with the surgery.

Chris Mills - Beulah MI

Sorry to hear about your knee Chris. I hope your doctor is right, and you can enjoy some time on the water soon. I appreciate you sharing, and thanks for the well wishes. Good luck and good healing on that leg of yours!

I was recovering at my house on Crystal Lake up in your area last week. Beulah MI
Welcome to the forum Chris! For a number of years we rented a house on the east end of Crystal and loved the lake and area. I could only imagine the pleasure of owning a home there!

Took my acl out while skiing 1 month ago. Had surgery this past Monday. I'm walking on it ok already but as we know taking it easy on the graft until the bone grows around it (up to 8 months) is everything though my surgeon says the threaded anchor points will easily handle everyday normal. I trailer my boats so being able to do steps (trailer steps) is key. I plan on boating and fishing in a month knowing to just take it slow and easy and watch every step. I definitely have a new respect for people who have had acl injuries. Good luck with your recovery.

Took my acl out while skiing 1 month ago. Had surgery this past Monday. I'm walking on it ok already but as we know taking it easy on the graft until the bone grows around it (up to 8 months) is everything though my surgeon says the threaded anchor points will easily handle everyday normal. I trailer my boats so being able to do steps (trailer steps) is key. I plan on boating and fishing in a month knowing to just take it slow and easy and watch every step. I definitely have a new respect for people who have had acl injuries. Good luck with your recovery.

Thank you for sharing your experience so far with the same procedure. If you think of it, feel free to give me updates on how it goes for you. I had 4 knee surgeries and one major reconstruction between 17-20 years old due to sports (football and then running/track). I just remember how bad the recovery process was 30 years ago. Thus, very apprehensive going back through it now at 49, while trying to juggle family, career, and my favorite pastime.

Glad your recovery is going well. I hope you get some good time on the water, but don’t push it too much Cooler. Happy healing, and happy boating.

Update: ACL reconstruction went well! Due to changes in how it’s done, my recovery is going “better” than it did with my first ACL reconstruction in 1990. That said, in thinking about boating, lake water levels, my need to move my lift out OVER TIME during the summer to still get the boat off it, etc... we are leaning towards not putting it in this summer. :(

At my age, with it being my second ACL reconstruction, and 5th overall left knee surgery, the doctors have advised me to take it in stride and not rush or overdo anything. Any more blow outs and they might not be able to reasonably repair it any longer. And honestly, I cannot take going through this again. I’m not old mind you, but I’m too old for this routine again. :mad:

Mid-June to mid-July is the time in my recovery when the doctors said they see the most re-tears because you are more mobile and feeling better, but the graft and bones have not healed (thus leg and muscles coming along, but ACL is weak and not set). It can lead to “bad” decisions. :confused:

We will play it by ear come that time frame. My wife (and she knows me well) is concerned with me doing something I shouldn’t in the spur of the moment docking, or what not, or generally overdoing it at some point with the boat or lift. Since I have a history of such things (thus, the current basketball injury...), she’s not necessarily wrong here. As she is stressing, better safe than sorry. The boat will be there next year. o_O

CF8F7B0B-C3D9-4EC7-83C3-48C9AE777D01.jpeg 7B9DEC8E-420D-4374-93AB-5CFEFA72D0C0.jpeg 884D08DC-8658-47BF-B9A8-EF7A880FBFA0.jpeg 69A28AC0-9F69-448B-84E8-38076F233DA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Vikingstaff, wishing you the best in your recovery. Listen to your healthcare providers and wife. As you said, the boat will be there next year.

Having two knees is more important that a season of boating (just barely) so rest up!

Jeff, glad to hear that the surgery went well but I probably could have done without the pictures! ;) Yikes! Looks plenty sore to me.

As difficult a decision to keep the boat in storage would be, given what your knee has been through thus far, removing any unnecessary exposures that might impede a full recovery seems prudent.

You can always hitch a ride with us this summer.

Jeff, glad to hear that the surgery went well but I probably could have done without the pictures! ;) Yikes! Looks plenty sore to me.

As difficult a decision to keep the boat in storage would be, given what your knee has been through thus far, removing any unnecessary exposures that might impede a full recovery seems prudent.

You can always hitch a ride with us this summer.

Careful, I might have to take you up on that offer. ;)

Wife is preaching some prudence on this one. I am intellectually in agreement, but emotional not so much. lol :rolleyes:

Honestly, some sunny days lakeside will be WONDERFUL about now, even without the boat. :)

Good luck with your recovery Jeff......You will never make it....The boat will go in at some point.:)

Good luck Jeff. Keep it slow and enjoy the water from your lawn. Have your wife spray some mist on you once in while and rock your chair. If you’re ever up around Burt Lake, we’d be happy to take you out for a slow cruise with our 115. Can you drink beer or does that slow the healing? That would be a double whammy!!!

Vikingstaff....

We all have water running in our veins this time of year, nothing better than The Benny wide open on The Lake
The time will come when you will be doing what you love right now relax , do your therapy and enjoy the sunsets, night skies, family, great food, camp fires and so much more. One thing we have all come to realize is Benny and The Lake will always be there when we are ready.
Here's something that will make you feel much better and it is actually true......... 85% of us if not more here on The Forum would love to be 49 all over again :)

Take Care
Wishing You A Speedy Recovery

60310923_2168248326799140_4303857792403374080_n.jpg

60466470_2168267013463938_1447894489787006976_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back