Anyone know of a battery tender that will switch between my two batteries when needed. Would it be safe to use this type of charger, under a covered boat, if it existed?

I completely agree with Havasu. The second battery is great peace of mind, especially when you add accessories and use them for a long time with the motor off. Our strategy is to start off with the battery selector set on Batts 1 & 2. That way they both charge. While motor is off, I switch to Batt 2 to run the accessories. When starting I leave it on # 2. So far it has always started. That way I get max charge on that battery on the way back in. If it were to not fire up, then I have #1 to bail me out. It's cheap insurance. I also love the fact that with the battery selector I can switch to "none" and be sure all electrics are off, and the boat is safe from fire due to a short circuit.

This is off topic....how do you like the Helm Sink? I considered it but got talked out by my dealer. Finishing the order tomorrow.

I've read that "trickle chargers" are not advisable for leaving attached to your battery all winter long. I've got a "smart" charger (forgot the brand) that I use that seems to do a great job. With my last boat, my battery lasted over seven years, to which I attribute (right or wrong) to the smart charger.

A buddy of mine left his "Battery Tender" plugged in for several weeks on his pontoon (not a Benny). I was with him when we stopped by his storage unit to unplug it. We were too late. One of the Interstate batteries had exploded (top blown off) and battery acid went everywhere. We cleaned what we could with baking soda and he took the boat to a local detailer for the rest. They cleaned up the battery storage area very well but his interior was permanently stained in several areas. Thank god a fire didn't start. He now uses what I had recommended all along, a ProMariner Smart Charger. I've used 4 of them in my various boats as has other friends and I never seen a problem with them. I do use a Battery Tender for my dirt bike and jet skis but they are never left attached for long term. Basically, top it off overnight then unplug. I think they work fine for that. My .02.

To each his own, but I have two batteries and NO switch. To me, a switch was just an accidental/forgetful/senior moment waiting to happen.

I used Blue Seas automatic charging relay. Simple to install. It's an "install and forget it" solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...id=1457279833&sr=8-4&keywords=blue+sea+system

The charging relay solution allows you to have a two battery system, with one that starts the motor only. The other battery runs everything else. The charging relay combines the two batteries when the motor is running (senses the higher 14V on the system when the alternator is running) so they both charge. When you shut the motor off, it senses the ~1V drop in system voltage (which means the alternator is no longer injecting current into the system) and it opens/separates the two batteries so you always have a fresh battery to start the motor and everything else runs off the other battery. You can run the "house" battery completely dead, and you'll still be able to start your boat.

Or, you can do all this manually by installing a "1/2/both/neither" switch, but then remembering when to switch stuff is on you.

I really like the charging relay setup. Install it and forget it. And no need to put a hole in your boat for the big orange switch. Which is another decision to make - Do you put it where you can get to it quickly (think hole in side of seat and big ugly orange switch sticking out) or do you put it in the changing room and have to have people move so you can switch it everytime to get to the sand bar or beach, again when you leave, and again when you get back to the dock.

This is my blue sea automatic charge relay install. I also changed out the 4 position switch (will go in the RV). I leave in the on position all the time - so far, no dead batteries.

Before:
upload_2019-8-6_9-58-5.jpeg

After (I fabricated the holder for the M-ACR using a plastic utensil holder from Walmart):

upload_2019-8-6_9-59-17.jpeg

Back