Adding a second battery in a most unusual way

Jim_R

Reaction score
Finally got the boat in the water last week, and started my second season projects this weekend. Way up at the top of the list was adding a second battery. The hardest part for me was finding a place I liked to install the second battery. I looked at the changing room, and under the helm, but wanted to save those spaces for other uses. I finally came across the image below at the Bennington website.

Bennington-Pontoon-2275-GL-Stern-Galley_zps628224fe.jpg

Yup, a Mini-Galley. Called customer service, found a battery should fit, and ordered one up. It arrived last season, but too late to play with. The mini-galley required some modification. ABYC says a venting system or other means shall be provided to permit the discharge of hydrogen gas released by the battery. So I got out my 3" drill.

2013-05-25_12-37-41_312_zps8b2c52bf.jpg

I found some vent covers online for cheap, but white didn't look right.

2013-05-25_12-37-54_687_zps0df6282d.jpg

So, plastic paint to the rescue.

2013-05-25_12-38-06_827_zps8e33673e.jpg

I didn't like the new style SS cupholders, as they did not match the other 8 onboard, so replaced those too. Also I didn't like the hand pump - how to wash hands if you constantly have to pump? So I replaced that too, but this is a thread on adding a second battery, so I'm skipping over that stuff. After mounting the mini-galley, I added a battery tray, drilled another 3" hole, this one through the deck, and mounted a Yandina ACR. BTW, you can see the second lower vent in this pic:

2013-05-26_11-20-52_682_zpsfdb3ae91.jpg

I got distracted with some other upgrades, so that's all I have for the battery upgrade for now. Well, ok, here's a couple shots of the mini-galley in position.

2013-05-26_11-42-09_250_zpsf1b066c2.jpg

2013-05-26_11-42-20_930_zps1e9f9ce4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job.

We have that mini-galley as well....my wife wants me to remove it from the boat as it has NEVER been used (even by the people who owned the boat before us) with the exception of the paper towel holder which I find very useful.

Very nice Jim! You know what else could have fit in there????? A BIG SUB!! Haha clean install though, looks factory with the vent holes.

Nice job ..... like Derrick said, looks "factory" ... :)

You do it yourselfers amaze me with what can be accomplished

Nice job Jim !!

Very creative, nice work!

Thanks all!

Keith, with the electric pump and regular style faucet handle, I'm hoping the galley will get some use - even if only to fill water balloons for the three man slingshot. Please tell me more about the paper towel holder, either mine did not come with one, or I over-looked it.

Oh yeah, one more advantage of the faucet upgrade - no cover modification needed:

2013-05-26_11-42-34_686_zpsdec305ec.jpg

That cutout area to the right of your faucet is where my paper towel dispencer is at......it is VERY handy. it stays concealed and has a knob on top so when you want it you just pull it up and it stays up to reveal the entire paper towel roll. After you're done you just push it back down inside and it's completely waterproof so your paper towel roll remains dry.

I love the faucet you replaced it with. What one did you buy? I'd like to swap mine out.

I honestly don't know....do all of these galleys have an electric water pump? As I have said, the one on ym boat has never been used because the water tank under the sink looks brand new as if never used (meaning the prior owner never used it either most likely).

No, he actually replaced his "hand pump" with electric if I read correctly. Nice upgrade.

I like that faucet too, nice, clean, compact.

Nice and clean!!

Yes, in addition to the faucet I had to add an electric water pump. The faucet I used fits the existing cutout, and has standard fittings, but there are two small holes from the hand pump mounting screws that I am going to have to gelcoat. Here's a link:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=ITC-Fold-Down-Bar/Cockpit-Faucet-7-5H&i=96079

I now realize I have seen a picture of the knob on the top of the paper towel holder. I thought an ice bucket was under it. Is the paper towel roll mounted horizontally, or vertically? I located my pump under there (above the tank) to ensure I had space for the battery, so not sure I can go that route.

Vertically.

Ah well, that won't work. Maybe I'll go old school and install one on the inside of the mini-galley door.

Jim

Excellent job. Looks great. Well done

Todd

Very nice!

Here ya go Jim.

gallery_300_298_803545.jpg

gallery_300_298_1245627.jpg

All you picture posters sure make me feel bad. Guess I need to read all the how-to pic posting stuff. Just finished installing a stainless steel flush mount anchor box in the front of mine. Had the door inset and the carpet edges bound and glued to the lid where it is flush with the rest of the carpet. I'll work on the posting this week. Yea Jim, sometime we're our own worst enemy! Steve

Lakebum, posting pictures is easy. See this link:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/1844-how-to-post-pics-in-5-easy-steps/

Keith, that paper towel holder is pretty cool. The 'lid' still makes me think there's an ice bucket underneath. In fact when I pulled my Mini-galley out of the box last season, I spent a good amount of time looking around for the 'lid'. Now I am glad I managed to refrain from calling Bennington customer service, they probably would have had a good laugh at my demands for a replacement for the 'missing ice bucket lid'.

Two questions: how much was the galley, and what is the depth? I'm wondering if it will fit between my captains chair and rear lounger. (I have the raised helm so it will have to fit between the lip of the helm and the back of the lounger)

Back