Adding an Amp and new Receiver

Maverick99

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a 2006 2275 fsi and am planning to swap out the stereo receiver to a Kenwood KMR-D368BT and add a Picasso Nano 4.520 amp.

The stock stereo is currently connected directly to a 12 pin molex connector. I will use RCA cables to connect the receiver to the amp. Here's where I'm a bit fuzzy on the rest of the wiring.

Does anyone know of anyone who builds wiring harnesses for these stereos?

If not, do I build a wiring harness between the amp and existing 12 pin wiring connector that includes the speaker connections from the amp, and the power and ground from the amp and receiver? Can I combine the power and ground from the amp and receiver into the new connector?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If I'm understanding your question right, the stock wiring won't be sufficient to power the amp.  The cleanest (and best) way is to run much heavier gauge cable from one of your batteries positive (or Perko switch) and negative.  This power cable would need to either have a sufficient fuse or circuit breaker near the power source.  You can run them straight to the amp itself or to a distribution block.  Using a block is nice because it allows for easy future upgrades if so desired.  Your speakers will then be run from the amp.  You can power the deck either from the stock wiring or the distribution block (if you use one).  Running from the deck to the amp will be your RCA's and the trigger wire.  Hope that makes a little more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Havasu is bang on about the +/- for the amp, but I'm thinking you were more wondering about the harness connections for the speakers. I would contact Bennington as I know in later years (like mine) they have a harness that they use for Tower models. It's connected between the original molex connection. It has two molex connectors and it allows the stereo wires to continue between the two original molex connectors, but just removes the speaker wires from the second connector so they can run to the amp instead of the deck.

Hope that makes sense, once again I was able to take something very simple and make it sound WAY more complex!!  Haha not sure if I have a picture of mine. 

You could always build your own, or just cut the speaker wires (leaving enough wire coming out of the molex to easily reconnect if you ever needed to)

Thanks Guys.

I was trying to avoid having to run wiring from the battery to the amp but it looks like that's what I'll do. (it was a lot easier to run wires from the battery to the amp on my bike) I was considering a distribution block as well so I'll go with that idea too.

Also appreciate the info on the wiring harnesses. I'll give Bennington a call to see if they have something I can use.

Cheers,

Kerry

Back