Adding an amp and subwoofer

This is great info....is the KMC5 the best head unit for our boats Kicker has? Thx

Deke,

Here is a link to the KMC45. It is an older unit that has limited capability. Upgrading will be a definite improvement. The KMC4 has all you need to do that, except for amps, which you will want in order to get the sound you're looking for. I installed my sub under my rear bench seat, which gave me a short 4 foot run to my batteries.

Thanks Madison. I had found that manual, I was more just looking to see how many watts per channel this KMC45 is rated for so that I could compare it to other units, and I can't find it published anywhere. I was really trying to avoid adding an amp and a powered sub. I was hoping a new head unit with more watts per channel and a powered sub would be enough to get some noticeable improvements.

What about a KMC5 instead of the KMC4? Is the 5 worth the additional $200?

Side note - a lot of this stuff is listed as out of stock on Kicker's website.

The KMC45 has 25 W x 4, which is really not enough to drive 4 6.5" speakers. The KMC5 does not have much more power than the KMC4 - I don't think it justifies the added cost. Here's a link for the KMC4: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yAXgSVVNutP/p_20646KMC4/Kicker-46KMC4.html

Separate amps always do a better job managing power and sound than the head unit does. The reason people blow out speakers is because they turn up the volume without enough power. There are some very good waterproof amps that can drive four or six speakers for less than $250. You'll love the Rockford powered sub. It rocks my boat, my wife loves it and it was super easy to install.

Good luck!

I see some with the KMC100 but I cannot seem to find that listed on any sites for sale except this one
It's not too bad of a price so wondering if it's worth jumping to this or should I be skeptical because no one sells it?

I see some with the KMC100 but I cannot seem to find that listed on any sites for sale except this one
It's not too bad of a price so wondering if it's worth jumping to this or should I be skeptical because no one sells it?
Generally, the KMC100 is sold only to dealers. It is very similar to the KMC4.

You could also go with the WetSounds HU. When this KMC10 fails one more time I’m switching. So far it’s been replaced twice under warranty.

Back