Adding an amp and subwoofer

I have the same KMC10 head unit and Swing back floor plan. We added the Rockford Fosgate 12" sub with built in amp. Put in the front facing section of the swingback.

It's not going to give you the most base sound but compliments the stock system well!

I have the same KMC10 head unit and Swing back floor plan. We added the Rockford Fosgate 12" sub with built in amp. Put in the front facing section of the swingback.

It's not going to give you the most base sound but compliments the stock system well!

Welp.. I'm about to do the same thing. Hope I'm happy with it! Ordered the 12” version.

Last edited:
We have a a swingback as well, we also put the Rockford Fosgate 12" sub with built in amp and love it !!! I did change out the 6" factory speakers with Kicker marine speakers and a 400W amp to power them sounds amazing

Welp.. I'm about to do the same thing. Hope I'm happy with it! Ordered the 12” version.
cant beat it for the price. I'm considering adding another in the front port side of the boat

When you put the Rockford in the back, you only tie into one speaker wire correct? But do you need a Y that will connect that wire to all the sub inputs?

We ordered our 2019 25QSB with the optional Kicker sub and amp. I was a little less than impressed with what our upgrade got us. I ended up replacing the entire system with JL Audio system and couldn’t be happier. We replaced all 6 speaker, the subwoofer, added an additional subwoofer under the rear bench and added one 800w 4 channel amp, and two 600w mono amps for the subs. The JL MM-100S head unit has much more adjustability and flexibility. I scoured EBay for all of the new equipment and got some pretty good deals. By the time I sold the original equipment, I’m only out of pocket about 1600.00 or so.

When you put the Rockford in the back, you only tie into one speaker wire correct? But do you need a Y that will connect that wire to all the sub inputs?

Nope. You tie into both the left and right speakers in three rear.

POS/neg right

POS/neg left

Both (all four wires) go into the Rockford

We have a a swingback as well, we also put the Rockford Fosgate 12" sub with built in amp and love it !!! I did change out the 6" factory speakers with Kicker marine speakers and a 400W amp to power them sounds amazing

I have the kicker kmc10 along with 6 kicker light up speakers.. including the rear facing Stern ones. I was Wondering if I turn the bass down low and the treble up on the deck... Will the 6 speakers be loud enough? Then just use the Rockford for the bass.

I'm thinking they should be loud enough as with the bass turned down on the unit.. there will be little if any distortion in the 6 kicker speakers

I have the kicker kmc10 along with 6 kicker light up speakers.. including the rear facing Stern ones. I was Wondering if I turn the bass down low and the treble up on the deck... Will the 6 speakers be loud enough? Then just use the Rockford for the bass.

I'm thinking they should be loud enough as with the bass turned down on the unit.. there will be little if any distortion in the 6 kicker speakers

You’ll probably find that you don’t even have to turn the bass down much on your speakers. They can actually handle a decent amount of bass.

Nope. You tie into both the left and right speakers in three rear.

POS/neg right

POS/neg left

Both (all four wires) go into the Rockford

Well I will say that connecting to both speakers is technically the more correct way to do it but tapping into just one speaker will work as well. You can take the L and R + from the sub input and connect it to the speaker +. Then do the same for the - side.

Great thread. I have the same SSBXP23 Swingback, but I have six kicker led lighted speakers and the KMC100 head unit. The speakers are fed from two different sources. The main harness feeds the four inside the cockpit, zone 2 feeds those on the back. There are RCA outputs for each pair of speakers and a sub. I'm going to add a 4 channel amp for the main speakers, and a 4 channel amp feeding the zone 2 speakers and bridge channels 3-4 to drive a sub mounted under the swingback seat. Thinking about a Bazooka 10" marine sub, since it already has an enclosure. Thoughts?
1571079020716.png

I was Wondering if I turn the bass down low and the treble up on the deck...

Ahhhhh, this takes me back to high school!
Anybody else have Sparkomatic 6x9's and underdash amp/equalizer?
The holy grail was the Pioneer SuperTuner. The damned things were so big! Looked like a toaster oven hanging under the dash!
Good times. Schmidt Big Mouths and classic rock.
Dadgummed good times!
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to derail!

Last edited:
I’ve got a similar setup on my new to me 22SSRFBXP, KMC 100, a Wet sounds amp connected to Two Wet sounds subs with the 6 wet sounds LED 6.5’s. Mine is wired kind of strange and I’m still sorting it out but so far I’m either replacing the amp with an HT6 and running all six plus the two subs off of it or I’m going to split between both amps-run the 6.5’s off the HT6 and the two subs off whatever they came with? Still trying to figure out the Zone 2 on the HU and how its wired as well as how someone ran two subs off one amp? A lot of what I saw today was not correct and some wasn’t even connected.

Ill follow this to see what comes out.

I am reading through all of your posts here hoping to get the answers I am looking for. Sounds like there are many different wiring, speaker, amp configurations available. I have the stock KMC10 with no subwoofer. I have 3 pairs of speakers. Bow, stern, and swim platform. I definitely need to upgrade. I am thinking a separate amp. Even if i go with the 5 channel, the KMC10 only has two preamp RCA outs. If I took both of them to the amp and designated them bow and stern+swim platform, where would I taker the feed for the subwoofer I want to add on? If I feed off of one of these channels then it would be part of the fade if I were to fade from one set of speakers to another. I would want the sub to be independent. Are there any other solutions here or do I also need to upgrade the head unit as well?

Jimmyb

I have two separate amps, amp 1 is 6 channel Wet Sounds and runs all of the boat speakers. Amp 2, also Wet Sounds runs both of my subs. The HU has outs for channels 1/2,3/4 and sub. My 6 channel powers the in the boat speakers using 1/2 and the fast back speakers using 3/4 and the fader since I dont run those speakers back there unless we are in the water.

Now having said all of that a simple way to get clean separation off of that HU would be to add a Line Output Converter. There are passive and active varieties out there and they can give you that separation your looking for. I’m testing out one right now in my truck before I rip into the wiring on the boat.

Based on my experience so far with the KMC100 and the 3 sets of RCA outputs, replacing your head unit will be easier and cleaner. then you'll be able to set it up like mine or like Magician.

I think you are correct Madison19. I was thinking the same thing. I have to see if the controller at the swim platform is compatible or if I need to replace that too. I would rather have the three RCA outputs so I can control each independently.

I posted about this in another thread, I have a 2020 G series fastback. The base stereo setup, which is 6 lighted kicker speakers and a kicker head unit, it says KMC45 on it. I can't even find that head unit available for sale anywhere, and that's probably a good thing because it is garbage. I was only looking because I want to find the specs on it. Anyways, I want a DIY option to improve the overall stereo sound and performance without breaking the bank. I am not that experienced with this stuff. My thoughts were to add the 12" rockford powered sub that everyone seems happy with and swap the head unit out with a Kicker KMC4. That would set me back about $600 or so, and I think the hardest part of the install would be running a power cable from the sub to the battery. Anyone have any thoughts whether this would help me achieve some better sound or is this not worth it to get any noticeable difference?

Back