Adding Automated Bimini

Wish2fish

Reaction score
Has anyone automated their bimini top to lower using actuators?

I want to do this so I can easily lower to get under the boat lift canopy and allows me to raise the boat high as possible out of the elements (sun, rain, etc)

I did this for my SeaRay but the bimini is much smaller and I don't drive with the bimini open. I am looking to replace the rear support with a heavy duty actuator. The pontoon bimini is much bigger and heavier and the pontoon is driven regularly with the bimini open.

Here is a picture of my SeaRay with the actuator during the mock-upIMG_5971.jpg .

Currently am updating the bimini eyes and hiding the wires.

Last edited:
Here is the automated bimini in action for my SeaRay. The actuators used here were intended for use on solar panels. they have IP65 waterproof rating. I will post some links in my next reply. The actuators have automatic stop for the top and bottom. I also bought a DPDT reverse polarity switch to make the wiring easier.

I built this last year as a proof of concept. Now that I've shown it can be done. I will be looking for stronger better looking components. These actuators only cost $88 for the pair last summer.

Bimini Going Down

Bimini Going Up

This is pretty cool. I'm always amazed by the ingenuity of our members on here.

Very nice!

Back