Adding lifting strakes

Bigtop

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so please bear with me. I recently purchased a 2010 2250gcw with a yamaha 115. It has the two elliptical toons and does fairly well as speed goes. It will run 27 to 28 mph at 5600 rpm wot with two people on board. My problem is that I need to run 30 to 32 mph to ski at the speed I like. When purchasing the boat, the dealer informed me that it should run 30 to 32 mph. While skiing is not my first priority, I wanted a boat that I could ski with if I wanted to.

My question is, how much increase in speed should I see by adding the lifting strakes to my elliptical toons? They can be purchased thru Bennington, but I will have to have my own welding shop do the install. I love my boat, but just like a few more mph.

Thanks

Hi Bigtop and welcome to the forum. I would expect about 2-3mph gain with the strakes. It is unfortunate that salespeople sometimes overstate the performance capabilities of a boat. This is sometimes due to lack of knowledge and other times it is the fact that they want to make a sale. Before purchasing my Bennington 2275 RCW, I did tons of research and a test run on a similar one with a 150 hp and knew this would not be adequate for my tow happy crew. Ended up buying a Yamaha 250hp and very pleased that I did. Two bits of advice for those who are considering a pontoon: 1. Ask the dealer for a test drive of a similar boat that you are looking to purchase. 2. Buy the largest engine that you can comfortably afford. I've never heard anyone say they have too much power but have read numerous post that they wished they had opted for a larger engine. Love my Bennington and hope you will too.

Before you go to strakes, which are a good thing BTW, make sure you have the right prop.

Basically, when you push the throttle all the way forward the engine should come to the top of it's RPM range. If it tries to go OVER, or if it won't make it all the way UP, then you are leaving speed on the table.

Before you go to strakes, which are a good thing BTW, make sure you have the right prop.

Basically, when you push the throttle all the way forward the engine should come to the top of it's RPM range. If it tries to go OVER, or if it won't make it all the way UP, then you are leaving speed on the table.
thanks for the quick reply. I have tried three props. The first was the one that came from the dealer which was a 17 pitch which was way to much pitch. I got 25mph at 5400 rpm. I then took it back to dealer and told him my concerns. They then put a 13.5 X 13 protech stainless on it. This gave me 28 to 29 mph at 5700 rpm. I then Saw on yamahas web site that they had developed a prop specifically for pontoons. I purchased a 14 X 13 stainless in this model which gave me the 27 to 28 mph at 5600 rpm. The pontoon series from yamaha gave me considerably more turning control due to the larger diameter which was especially helpful around the docks. I am just exploring all of my options. The prop deal is kind of a epensive trial and error process and if I thought I could get there with a prop, I would. I don't want to throw any more money at props if I get the results I want. Do you have any suggestions on the prop? Thanks again

Hi Bigtop and welcome to the forum. I would expect about 2-3mph gain with the strakes. It is unfortunate that salespeople sometimes overstate the performance capabilities of a boat. This is sometimes due to lack of knowledge and other times it is the fact that they want to make a sale. Before purchasing my Bennington 2275 RCW, I did tons of research and a test run on a similar one with a 150 hp and knew this would not be adequate for my tow happy crew. Ended up buying a Yamaha 250hp and very pleased that I did. Two bits of advice for those who are considering a pontoon: 1. Ask the dealer for a test drive of a similar boat that you are looking to purchase. 2. Buy the largest engine that you can

comfortably afford. I've never heard anyone say they have too much power but have read numerous post that they wished they had opted for a larger engine. Love my Bennington

and hope you will too.

Thanks for your quick reply. I had done some research but not enough. This is my first pontoon and was a little to anxious. I had been looking for a good used one but could not anything I liked. I then went into the Bennington dealer and it was love at first sight. This boat was marked down as they were trying to clear out their 2010 models. I love the boat and it is perfect for cruising and pulling the grandkids on the tube, just need a few more mph for me to ski comfortably slolam. Your exactly right about choosing the max horsepower. I wish now I had chosen the 150. At the time, budget was a concern and gas economy. It's funny, in all of my cars and pickups , I always get the biggest motor available, but I did not on my boat. But when the salesman said I should get 32 mph, I believed him. I still think I can with the strakes and change of props.

Thanks again for your input.

Basically, I'd say just stick with 14" and drop one or two pitch numbers.

You anywhere near central Ohio?

I could loan you a 14x11p if you like.

BigTop,

I asked my dealer about adding on lifting strakes to my 22' pontoon SLi. He mentioned they have added them in years past to boats not factory ordered with this option and performance was maybe a +1 mph. Since he is one of the highest volume Bennington dealers in Texas, I took his word. He took my boat out 3 different times until he found a suitable prop for my F115. I went stainless with the Michigan Wheel Apollo XHS prop 13 3/8 X 15. Good fuel economy, gets us out of the hole quick, no cavitation, and a top end of about 32 with the wife, 2 small children, and gear. Very pleased so far. Very glad I went with the max hp instead of the 70hp package option.

Will

Thanks Redraider, I may try the same prop. Are you running 25" toons or the elipticals and what Is your rpm at WOT? Also, what part of TX are you in? I am in the Ft. Worth area and boat mainly on Eagle Mountain lake.

Hi Bigtop,

I am in Decatur, and Lake Bridgeport has been my stomping grounds thus far. I hear Eagle Mountain is nice! I am running the 25' toons, and WOT is about 6000 RPM's. You are welcome.

Will

Hi Redraider,

Thanks for the info. The wife and I keep talking about hitting lake Bridgeport, but just haven't yet. Will try again this year and maybe we'll see you there.

I don't want to mention the dealer, but did you buy your boat in Lewisville? Also, did you get your speed of boat from a gps device or something other?

So I have an F90 on a 22 SSi and the engine basically runs right up to 6,200 RPM at WOT. Any thoughts on a prop for a 22' pontoon and 90 HP engine combination?

Back