Adding Third Tube to 1999 2050LX

Bill Begley

Reaction score
Interested in adding third tube to my 1999 2050LX. The original tubes are 23 inches. The crossmembers already have holes that mounting brackets could be mounted to. Has anyone added or can steer me in the right direction to get more information including cost of tube please? I have access to a fabrication shop and could install it myself. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I undertook this project in 2015 on a 2010 22Rli. At that time, the cost of the tube was about $3000 and the most inexpensive shipping option required a truck that was able to bring the tube along with new boats from the factory. Underskinning was extra.

There were multiple issues, mostly exacerbated by my installing dealer. But there were plenty of screw ups by every party involved.

Given that Bennington is doing all it can to fulfill orders to meet demand, they are not likely to be able to accommodate your order... if you can find a competent dealer to make the request.

In the end, while there was an improvement in ride due to the increased buoyancy, I did not gain any miles per hour.

For the (my guess) $5K it would cost you, you are not going to gain the increased performance you seek.

Sorry to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but I am one of the few who actually did what you are considering.

I might add that if you have a crank-up trailer, you will also need to upgrade to a bunk-style trailer, likely increasing your cash outlay, too.

Hopefully, Link will chime in, too. At least he saw a gain in top speed, which eluded me.

GoldenRod, I have always been amazed that you did not get an increase in speed as mine was about 5mph. However speed wasn't the only reason I did so, we are on a large lake that can get some decent sized waves and I wanted the third toon to handle better and I certainly agree with the much improved ride.

I did the express tube because I loved the boat I had an R with all the options I wanted. For me it was a much better cost effective option than selling the boat and then buying a new Benny

GoldenRod, I have always been amazed that you did not get an increase in speed as mine was about 5mph. However speed wasn't the only reason I did so, we are on a large lake that can get some decent sized waves and I wanted the third toon to handle better and I certainly agree with the much improved ride.

I did the express tube because I loved the boat I had an R with all the options I wanted. For me it was a much better cost effective option than selling the boat and then buying a new Benny

Don't forget to mention that you were limited by your boat length vis-a-vis slip dimensions. Another good reason.

I still doubt Bennington is still offering tubes for upgrade, but then again, I am often wrong... just ask my wife! ;-)

Back