Adding (welding) an second transducer bracket to the back of toon?

Mcar

Reaction score
Only one of my toons has a transducer bracket. Has anyone added (welded) a transducer bracket to their toon? I'd like to add underwater lights and mount them to the transducer bracket on each toon, but only have one bracket.

Only one of my toons has a transducer bracket. Has anyone added (welded) a transducer bracket to their toon? I'd like to add underwater lights and mount them to the transducer bracket on each toon, but only have one bracket.
Welcome to the forum Mcar! Just get a good local welder to weld an aluminum bracket on to the back of your toon. We had a splash guard that had about half of the weld separating/cracked and a welder fixed it right up. Cost was $20.

My neighbor recently had this same work performed on his Bennington. Ensure that the welder understands he can't simply weld to the toon without opening it up, otherwise it may burst.

I thought it would be just that simple. Thank You for the reply.

My neighbor recently had this same work performed on his Bennington. Ensure that the welder understands he can't simply weld to the toon without opening it up, otherwise it may burst.

I guess I was lucky with my first Benny. Hit a submerged log with it, and split the seam at the back cap. Welder did his thing without incident. I can surely see pressure building on a long weld. This was about 3” long.

Just had a second bracket welded to mine so I could add another anode. No issues. I did worry about it at first until the boat yard owner told me that the welder has done several over the last 10 years for him.

The small stitch welds and that large chamber, I doubt you’d ever heat that up to that extent, but there should be a bung on top of the toon with a threaded plug.

The plugs have small holes in them venting to atmosphere.
However, it would be advisable to remove plug prior to welding as the heat from welding will cause an increase in air pressure at a faster rate than the plug hole can allow it to equalize.
ANY pressure difference at all will increase the probability of a "blowout" while welding.

The small stitch welds and that large chamber, I doubt you’d ever heat that up to that extent, but there should be a bung on top of the toon with a threaded plug.

That's what I would have thought. Unfortunately the threaded plug on top of the rear compartment was unreachable on my friend's Benny.

That's what I would have thought. Unfortunately the threaded plug on top of the rear compartment was unreachable on my friend's Benny.
None of them are unreachable. Some more difficult that others.
If it has an underdeck splash shield, simply remove the outside riser that covers the M brackets. Just a handful of 3/8" bolts.
EZ, PZ

Back