Advice Buying a tube for a new boat

JeeperCRNA

Reaction score
The guy I bought my boat from suggested a O’Brien batwing not a kite tube it’s one you later on when the sides are slightly elevated to go across the wakes. Is anybody use this or what do you suggest for a lay on type of tube?

Attachments

• 7EA02309-DAA4-4A25-B1C9-3B94A97AE524.jpeg
    7EA02309-DAA4-4A25-B1C9-3B94A97AE524.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 21
The guy I bought my boat from suggested a O’Brien batwing not a kite tube it’s one you later on when the sides are slightly elevated to go across the wakes. Is anybody use this or what do you suggest for a lay on type of tube?
We have had several different kinds of tubes over the years. We've had the big "donut" style where the kids can actually sit/kneel in the hole. We've had flat ones that fit 1 rider and ones up to 3. We've had the 2 rider Big Mabel where you can ride sitting down or chariot style kneeling. There are so many out there. They all have their claim to fame! Just get something versatile that the kids would enjoy but an adult would also like to ride from time to time.......

Jeeper, I guess the first question would be who will be using the tube? Children? Teens? Young adults? Older adults or a combination? Depending on your audience, some will be more appropriate than others. I'm thinking that the batwing will be a pretty aggressive ride and appeal to those not afraid to taking a tumble.

Spot on advice in the two posts above. We currently have a 4 person Super Mabel and a round 3 person O’brien tube. Our O’Brien is similar to the flying wing above, but cylindrical. We’ve only had someone pick the O’brien once. Everyone of all ages always seems to prefer the Super Mabel for seated riding, and on rare occasions for the chariot type of ride. I’d have thought it would be more balanced between the two, particularly with the teens maybe picking the round O’brien. However, that hasn’t been the case.

Think through who will do the riding, and how much. IF possible, take them to a place/showroom were they can get on and check each out. That’s what we did, which led to the Super Mabel. I second guessed that with adding in the round 3 person O’brien two years later for variety...and well that really was just an exercise in me spending money.

Super Mabel here after about 3 or 4 others. It's a big comfy couch on the water, and when you're towing older (or more adventurous) kids, you can turn it around chariot-style and pull them so they can kneel/stand. Highly recommended!

Another vote here for the Mable.

The cylinder one scares the hell out of me. Something about being covered on all sides. Riding the Mabel on your knees makes me nervous as well. Especially riding 2 or 3 . I personally don't care to whip the kids off the tube, but they love it. I'm a big ball of nerves though.

Here's a question I haven't seen asked. What size motor? We have a 115VMAX, and we pull a 3 person Airhead. It's a big round tube, probably 75" wide. We plan to downsize this year to a two person tube because we run out of throttle. My thought is the smaller tube maybe easier to pull and gain a little extra whip. We also run a bungie cord. Which is good for whip lash but it may be slowing down the ride too because it extends to avoid a surge/jerk.

ok... looking at the replies for good tube, seems everybody likes the Big Mable and the cost is about $280 but Airhead makes a very similar tube "Pit Stop" for $220.. Save the $60 or spend it?
1612893935462.png

Thanks, teens and adults
The cylinder one scares the hell out of me. Something about being covered on all sides. Riding the Mabel on your knees makes me nervous as well. Especially riding 2 or 3 . I personally don't care to whip the kids off the tube, but they love it. I'm a big ball of nerves though.

Here's a question I haven't seen asked. What size motor? We have a 115VMAX, and we pull a 3 person Airhead. It's a big round tube, probably 75" wide. We plan to downsize this year to a two person tube because we run out of throttle. My thought is the smaller tube maybe easier to pull and gain a little extra whip. We also run a bungie cord. Which is good for whip lash but it may be slowing down the ride too because it extends to avoid a surge/jerk.
i have. SX 24 with a F200

ok... looking at the replies for good tube, seems everybody likes the Big Mable and the cost is about $280 but Airhead makes a very similar tube "Pit Stop" for $220.. Save the $60 or spend it?
View attachment 28813
I would get the Mable. It’s bulletproof.

I would get the Mable. It’s bulletproof.
I would second this. I got an “off brand” version and it blew out on us half way through its first season. Switched to the Super Mable and its like new 3.5 years later. Super durable. The Airheads version might be too; I really don’t know. I just know the Super Mable has been worth every penny, and is incredibly durable.

We have had this one (Airhead Rampage) for years...it's a really stable tube that you can whip around without throwing the riders off. The wings make it really safe to ride. Not sure if you can get this one anymore, but it's what we've had really good luck with.

Airhead_Rampage.jpg

So our clan is filled with very adventurous, daring teens and parents that are happy to watch them fly through the air as they get bounced off a tube and try to fly. What we have learned echo's VikingStaff that brand names have always held up better than cheaper off brands (I believe Mable and Airheads are both quality). They love the winged lay downs (JandKe Rampage Airhead above!!) for the most adventure, Airhead Griffin just went on sale in Amazon and accommodates 3 people (Pic below). We now tend to stay away from the 3 person sit down models and thus use primarily the Big Mable vs the Super Mable - we found that with 3 people - heads were getting knocked together a lot, does not seem to happen with the 2 person sit down or the 3 person lay down. Enjoy!!!! Is summer here yet? PS - I think my next two seater I will try the SportsStuff Chariot Warbird 2 - the slightly flared bottom design should make for some extra fun!?!?

Attachments

• Chariot.JPG
    Chariot.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Wing.JPG
    Wing.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
View attachment 28813
I've seen both in person. Pretty much the same tube. Both are name brand and high quality. Save the $60.....

View attachment 28813
Just to throw another brand of tube (same style), look at the gladiator super brawler sold at overtons.com and other places. We have one going on its fourth season.

Slight bump here....

Looking at the SuperMable. Anyone use an air pump to take it down when not in use? Dont want this big ol thing in the boat house when kids dont want to ride on it. Wondering how easy it is to deflate after use to store, and then air pump it back up when needed.

Slight bump here....

Looking at the SuperMable. Anyone use an air pump to take it down when not in use? Dont want this big ol thing in the boat house when kids dont want to ride on it. Wondering how easy it is to deflate after use to store, and then air pump it back up when needed.
I use an electric pump to inflate and deflate, but only do it once a year. It works really good to deflate the tube for storage.

Last edited:
I only take the air out at

I use an electric pump to inflate and deflate, but only do it once a year. It works really good to deflate the tube for storage.

Wonder if there is some sort oh "ceiling hook" system that I can attach to the ceiling of the dock and keep the tube inflated, yet out of the way and not worry about wind blowing it away. Maybe ill just need to get creative and get some rope and clips and make my own. And like you said, keep it for the season inflated.

Back