Advice Buying a tube for a new boat

I'm sure you can "Macgyver" something. Hooks, bungee cords, straps, etc.

I have a 3 person Super Mable. We use an electric pump to inflate it and keep it stored in the garage at the cottage. We keep ours inflated all season. Two thoughts:

(1) if you want to deflate it, we basically open up the two air valves, and let it lay outside for 30 minutes. Afterwards I lazily just lay on it, fold it up more, lay on it, etc.... Is folded and deflated within 10 more minutes. This, its not too bad, but we have other boating/summer gear in the garage anyway, so easier for us to keep inflated and ready to go on a moments notice all season.

(2) They do make overhead storage nets for lift covered. They attach onto the frames and create a storage loft area with netting for things like water toys and tubes. I am sure you could play around with something like that, or create your own, for an overhead storage solution of some sort. It’s a big towable, so it has some weight to it (for a tube). Thus, you’d just want something robust to hold it securely and safely.

I use a Ryobi cordless/handheld inflator. I have Ryobi tools so I have a ton of batteries. It works great for the tube and the floats that we keep on the boat. We blow our tube up each time. We're not on the water and it's too big to put in the car. I do not use the tool to deflate, it has a large opening. Deflates in seconds and then we just roll it up to push out the rest of the air.

I just finished testing the Outdoor Master Shark High Pressure vs WOW Watersports 3psi pumps on my Big Mabel. The OMS pump took 5 minutes, the Wow took 4, the OMS was about 1.5psi while the wow was closer to 1 - both acceptable. The OMS was $170, the WOW was $70. But, the OMS turned off automatically when done, will work with my SUP, and was able to fill two tubes without getting hot. The WOW was very warm and also heated up the 12V cord after just 1, there was very little heat coming from the OMS. Took about 7 minutes to deflate using the pump AND roll it back up on both units. It's a bit pricey, but the OMS pump so far seems like it's worth the premium, keeping the WOW as a backup.

I just finished testing the Outdoor Master Shark High Pressure vs WOW Watersports 3psi pumps on my Big Mabel. The OMS pump took 5 minutes, the Wow took 4, the OMS was about 1.5psi while the wow was closer to 1 - both acceptable. The OMS was $170, the WOW was $70. But, the OMS turned off automatically when done, will work with my SUP, and was able to fill two tubes without getting hot. The WOW was very warm and also heated up the 12V cord after just 1, there was very little heat coming from the OMS. Took about 7 minutes to deflate using the pump AND roll it back up on both units. It's a bit pricey, but the OMS pump so far seems like it's worth the premium, keeping the WOW as a backup.
Wow. You actually tested two different pumps. That's amazing. My method doesn't allow me to check PSI, perhaps I should upgrade my pump because I know I've used it a little under inflated before.

I use a cheap Coleman inflator, and it works great. The key is to not plug it into a 12V receptacle, but rather, use the clips and attach it directly to the battery terminals. Works very fast to inflate our 'Mable. Another hint: Go ahead and get a manual bicycle-type pump to use as a back-up, and to really get it inflated completely after the majority of filling is done with the electric inflator. This way you can get it really full. Makes for a much better ride/tubing experience. I got an Airhead manual pump that inflates on the upstroke as well as the downstroke, and it has worked great for several years. (Gets the tube really "tight", which most electric inflators won't can't do)

I got a large-ish inflator when I purchased a water trampoline for the cabin, and I use that to inflate each spring. When garaged/kept out of the sun, I've found it to be fine to just leave inflated... but it would be simple to de/reinflate if space was at a premium. The inflation nozzles can get a bit fragile over time (that's how my last one died - the nozzle ripped at the base when trying to deflate at the end of the season).

Wow. You actually tested two different pumps. That's amazing. My method doesn't allow me to check PSI, perhaps I should upgrade my pump because I know I've used it a little under inflated before.
These were rock solid when full with both pumps. No need for a manual pump to finish off. But the Outdoor Master Shark High Pressure allowed me to start the process and walk away. Unishot's post is correct - best to clip direct to the battery. I found a heavy duty "car" receptacle and am going to give that a go (kids, electric, positive / negative - I want to avoid any "errors").

Back