Advice on model choices

WHB

Reaction score
I'm configuring a new Bennington and this forum has been really helpful. I have a specific question I'm hoping a few people can comment on. Looking at 23' with twin ellip and 150 or SPS Tri with 200. I'll use the boat on a couple bays that have a lot of shallow water. Can anyone comment on minimum depth of water needed to get out of hole on either of these configurations; and the minimum depth you can go through at high speed? The performance of the SPS sounds impressive, but will it need more water than the twin elip? Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

I can't speak to the Eliptical but I do have a 24' with SPS and a 200 and love it. I'm in Fl and boat in areas with varying depths depending on tides. I haven't had an issue moving around and I'd never be cruising fast in water less than 4' deep anyway.

Ditto above. We have a 24’ SPS 200 HP. Our lake is shallow, with numerous areas to be aware of. Trimmed up and going slow in good weather, I can get in that 2’ range. However, if wind or waves pick up, I don’t have enough prop bite to keep the boat controlled. For guaranteed control in adverse conditions I need about 2.5’-3’+.

As for going trimmed down and fast, NEVER under 4’ of water. Conditions and depth can shift too quickly and unexpectedly. And frankly, I avoid fast anywhere near 4’ of depth and stick to easy going cruising. I only open it up when I am safely in deeper water, particularly on our lake where there are so many shallow areas.

2.5-3' of water is about as shallow as you want to boat in. Some spots where I boat get pretty shallow (2-3') and as long as I trim it up I havent had many issues. One prop ding is all my ESP package has suffered in shallow water

Even though I’m a low hp motor, I’ve idled into 12” deep water. Many of our coves are that shallow and I just put around in them. My depth gauge is pretty much spot on.

Thanks ... helpful perspectives. Can anyone comment on what the Tritoons are like coming out of the hole ... do they nose up more than twins? Or are they still pretty flat?

Thanks ... helpful perspectives. Can anyone comment on what the Tritoons are like coming out of the hole ... do they nose up more than twins? Or are they still pretty flat?

More nose up until it plains out. If you have a big HP motor, it plains out FAST. ;)

Last edited:
Back