Advice Please!

Bret Heitkamp

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a new Bennington 23 RCL (tri-toon) ESP. I am working with two separate dealers. One is telling to put the Yamaha 150 HP motor on it, while the other is recommending I purchase the Yamaha 200 HP.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bret Heitkamp
Okoboji, IA

Welcome, Bret. We have members here with both motors and I'm sure they will chime in. Let me be the first, however, to repeat the old boating proverb: "No one ever lamented that they bought too much horsepower."

Around here, horsepower wins almost every time. I would recommend 200, my 22 sps has a 150 and I would like more. It all depends on what you want out of it. You're buying a boat built for performance, get all you can out of it.

While you are waiting for the guys to pipe up, you may want to search "power assist steering" and read what our experiences have been. This group of knuckleheads just loves to spend other peoples' money, but in the case of horsepower and the power assisted steering, you may want to listen carefully and heed our advice.

All of this is predicated upon the assumption that you have intention to pull water toys and/or carry lots of passengers. If not, I'm unsure as to why a dealer would be steering you toward these motors.

If you are going with a 150 or a 200 ,I would suggest the SPS package .With the ESP you can get up to a 300
From the build page
Sport Performance System - SPS 23GR $6,268 905428
new%20info.png

Elliptical Sport Package - ESP (23) $8,537 904510
new%20info.png

https://boat-builder.benningtonmari...6a9d29a8c507b3323?SERIES/R&MODEL/23RCLDI=true

I agree with Jack M SPS package is the route to go. If 200 fits the budget, go for it you won't have any regrets. Did the Dealers explain why the different H.P.to you ?

I agree with Jack as well. Save the money on the ESP and go to SPS. The cost savings can go to the 200 will probably be a wash.

I am in the process of purchasing a new Bennington 23 RCL (tri-toon) ESP. I am working with two separate dealers. One is telling to put the Yamaha 150 HP motor on it, while the other is recommending I purchase the Yamaha 200 HP.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bret Heitkamp
Okoboji, IA
I have a 2275 RCW with esp and Yamaha vmax 250. With the ESP feature, the big engine is a kick in the pants, Good luck, JM

I would definitely go with 200. I am of the opinion that the 200 with SPS is one of the best boat motor packages offered.

We have the SPS with 150 and of course power steering. We have 8 grandchildren and I have never heard them say go faster. Our usage is probably 20% tubing the rest cruising.

I am waiting on a 22fx with the SPS package not sure what come with that SPS package. And is there any upgrade I should look into , ordered the Yamaha 150, not sure if I could go with 200 didn’t ask dealer when I ordered it it is a tritoon. Ordered 31 January not got a build date yet so I think I can still add upgrades

Since you don’t have a build date I would ask. Yes, you can put a 200 on SPS Hull. You have to check with dealer to see if they have a 200 readily available. As far as other options, it would help to know what you have ordered for options already. I would want power steering assist no matter what 150 or 200. Knowing your dealer they will no doubt try to talk you out of it but if you want it you need to push them to get it done.

Last edited:
Since you don’t have a build date I would ask. Yes, you can put a 200 on SPS Hull. You have to check with dealer to see if they have a 200 readily available. As far as other options, it would help to know what you have ordered for options already. I would want power steering assist no matter what 150 or 200. Knowing your dealer they will no doubt try to talk you out of it but if you want and they can push them to get it done.
Just called my dealer he said the they don’t offer the 200 on my build they do 175 ,2300 dollars more and said only thing that would get me 2 mph more top end not worth it to me

Just called my dealer he said the they don’t offer the 200 on my build they do 175 ,2300 dollars more and said only thing that would get me 2 mph more top end not worth it to me

I am going to check on that.

You either ordered the 22 SFX or 22SF. On both of those models with SPS hull, you can absolutely by marking 200 capacity tag on the boat builder can add a 200 HP model. If you want to Private Message, as I know your dealer well, we can discuss this further.

You either ordered the 22 SFX or 22SF. On both of those models with SPS hull, you can absolutely by marking 200 capacity tag on the boat builder can add a 200 HP model. If you want to Private Message, as I know your dealer well, we can discuss this further.
Yes that would be nice

There is a check box for a 200hp capacity tag.

200/SPS is a fantastic package. If you have the budget and plan to use it for water sports the ESP/250 would be awesome too. The ESP weighs more than SPS so the additional horsepower would be needed for the SPS.

Back