Advice, Shopping for a Benny 22 or 23

BobbyZ

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum. Im looking for a 22 or 23 foot Benny and wanted some advice. My last toon was a 22 Aqua Patio with the express tube package and a 150 Honda. I got 40mph with light load and was happy except it didn't turn that well and had strakes on the outsides. Im looking to get a SPS or ESP for the better turning but would still like to see 40mph. Would a yamaha 150 get me there or do I need a 200? I'm looking to buy a used one since the new ones are just so dann expensive now. I really like the GSR and the GPD looks kinda cool too. Me, my wife, 2 girls and our puppy. Thanks in advance for any info u can provide, or if u have an opinion on the models/Floorplan as well. My last one was the L lounge in the back and it just seems kinda dated nowadays. Tnx, Rob

Last edited:
We just bought a 2020 SXP 23' Quad Bench layout w/Yamaha 150 tritoon SPS. Not sure I can get it to 40, but really close with an empty boat. Still plenty of power to pull a tube with 4 or 5 passengers. Turns great. I thought I may regret not getting the 200, but now I have no regrets. 150 is plenty for us and we are on a very large lake. Not worth the extra $ if you ask me.

2019 SSRXP-ESP with a merc XL 200 DTS
I have driven a few SPS with 150's prior to buying the ESP with the 200
my opinion is go with the 200 and the ESP-(good amount of extra money)
but it is a totally different boat
it is a night and day difference!!! my boat turns on a dime and shoots out of the hole.
with myself and my wife it will do 40 in the rough and 42 if calm waters..
loaded up boat 6-7 people on a real choppy day I can get 36-38

I thought only the SPS full length 25" center tritoon was available on S series along with the cheaper 3/4 length center tube Express tube package, and ESP with 32" oval full length tube was premium tritoon handling option on the top level G/R, etc series. I have a 2017 SSRCX with SPS and Yamaha 150 with electrically assisted hydraulic steering. Handles like a sports car! ( like an aircraft carrier had a baby with a MiniCooper....lmao)

BobbyZ, you will have to excuse me but I get a kick out of these threads. It all depends on how you use your craft. I have an SPS package with a 150 Hp Yamaha. 40 plus mph is a stretch with the Bimini up. We have had six adults, three kids, and two dogs ( 30 lbs each) With average chop and can achieve 38 mph. Doesn’t seem to matter much. I haven’t tried a speed run, Bimini down, hunched under helm window with goggles on, So can’t say what my Benny will do. The 38 mph with the family on was done by my son in-law for a very short distance until everyone grumped about the wind. I can pull two slalom skiers at 26 to 28 mph (nice speed for skiing) with no problem. Don’t do that often mostly a single skier or boarder. We don’t do the try to sling folks off of tube or float devices so can’t help you with that. I can turn and get back to a downed skier almost before they get their wits about them because of the SPS. Guess my point is, you need to evaluate what you want the craft to accomplish. If it is flat out speed and money is no object a couple of 450 racing motors on the stern will give everyone a thrill, or if money is an object my vote is a 150 hp or higher, SPS or better, and if the price is right It will give you a very capable and enjoyable watercraft. We have had our Benny for five years and have yet to find anything I would change. The only problem we have had is a beagle puppy who decided it was board and did some chewing of vinyl. Good thing we have a leather crafter who has the proper sewing machines to fix said chew. Good luck finding the perfect Benny, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
ESP is a heavier hull, with a new 200hp we get 41 mph with two people.

Thank you all for the replies and advice. Always nice to get different perspectives. Im not looking for a race boat but I live on a large lake and the extra speed/power comes in handy sometimes. I would really like to find a nice used GSR with a 150 or larger SPS or better. We have decided the quad lounges fits our needs the best. If anyone hears of one for sale let me know, I have no problem driving outta state for a deal. Thx!

Have a ‘13 2375 GCW with the ESP, Yamaha 150 and Sea Legs. 25’1 LOA and roughly 4,400 lbs with gear and a full tank of gas. Just me with the bimini stowed and it’ll do 33, 9 adults and that drops to 24. It does handle like a v-hull which makes me wish for the 250hp it’s rated for. That said, love the boat! If it didn’t have Sea Legs and still had the underskin, I have no doubt it would do upper 30’s. Good luck with the search!

Thanks Daveyj. I would love an esp if I could find a good used one.

An ESP hulled boat is going to be heavier so I always wonder if from a hole shot/WOT perspective how it compares to the SPS with a 150.

We have an S-series SPS with a 200. I can say we love it. Adding Sea Legs dropped our performance down slightly, but still is more than anyone but me enjoys. Pre-Sea Legs = 44 mph light load. 40 fairly loaded. Post Sea Legs = 39 lightly loaded, 36 loaded up. Has always turned and handled great!

Back