Aircraft Pics .... Post them up

Gerry

That's a great story. I have been there, although I was a young lad back then. I'll have to find the picture I have with Strawberry Bitch . I remember her and the B25 briefing time was there. Briefing time still flies the air show circuits.

What is cool about the Yankee Air Force here in Michigan, is they offer rides in their b25 and their b17 all summer long. A bit pricey $400 bucks, but for a once in a lifetime ride, it is pretty special.

Todd

I also did a show with Gary Ward flying his MX2 in 2010. Gary is a fine gentleman and he can really throw it down! Here is a video of his Friday practice before the show, it was taken by an amateur videographer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone near D.C. would want to go here. This is my next road trip hopefully soon. Supposed to be an awesome museum.

http://airandspace.si.edu/udvarhazy/
Yes, it is a fantastic huge museum located on the grounds of Dulles International airport just west of Washington. One of the main reasons they built this place is because the main Air and Space museum right on the National mall in Washington was getting too crowded and they decided to expand..................These 2 museums are a must see for flying and aircraft enthusiast! It shows you the history from the beginning of flight to present day. The IMAX theater at both museums are an experience in itself! Been trying to find my pics of the Space shuttle when it was flying "piggyback" on that specially fitted 747 when it flew over Washington/Virginia/Maryland on it's way to Udvar Hazy after NASA retired it. Must have deleted them.That was something to see!!!!!!!! Also, my father was in the Air Force and I grew up on Andrews Air Force Base just east of Washington. Every year when I was a kid we used to go to the "Base open house" to view all of the military aircraft and Presidential aircraft to include Air Force one and of course the air show w/the Blue Angels as the highlight. Andrews still holds the open house every year..............

Yeah I made the open house quite a few years ago .... Got to touch my first B52 !! It was back when the F117 was fairly new .... they had it there too, roped off, with armed guards and I was told "YES, they are really armed and they will really shoot you".

Reminded me of deployment back in 80's to Patrick AFB in Cocoa Bech, FL. The flight line had orange cones set up spaced every so often, and that was the ONLY place you were to enter the flight line. We were warned NOT to cross into the flight line anywhere else BUT between the orange cones. Well, we had a reservist that wanted to test the USAF security, and he thought it funny to cross over outside these, well within 45 seconds he had USAF security on him, he was spread eagled on the flight line with probably 4-5 M16's pointed at him ...... I'm thinking he had to change his drawers after that ...... :D

Oh yeah, same base & time, every morning we'd watch the U2 take off, and every evening watch her land. Another amazing aircraft :wub:

I asked one of the USAF where it went all day, all he said was "Cuba" ..... ;)

8124900833_f2c71390f8_b.jpg
8124939172_4166a7712c_b.jpg

8124923439_f000cc897b_b.jpg
8124877053_aec9e10227_b.jpg
8125030094_c702c8b7e0_b.jpg
8124897331_3f3c8cea0b_b.jpg
140_zpsb586aadc.jpg

Gerry

That's a great story. I have been there, although I was a young lad back then. I'll have to find the picture I have with Strawberry Bitch . I remember her and the B25 briefing time was there. Briefing time still flies the air show circuits.

What is cool about the Yankee Air Force here in Michigan, is they offer rides in their b25 and their b17 all summer long. A bit pricey $400 bucks, but for a once in a lifetime ride, it is pretty special.

Todd
A couple years back I did pay the $400 to ride in a B-17, at Dayton. What a thrill.... and I was only a couple thousand feet off the ground. I couldn't imagine someone shooting at me or AA fire exploding around. Sure gave me a small sense of what the "Greatest Generation" endured and sacrificed for. Sitting in the bombadiers nose seat reminded me of the scene in " The Best Years of Our Lives" with Fredic March coming home. I also met David Thatcher of the "Ruptured Duck" crew, one of Doolittles remaining survivors of his historic raid, when the Air Force Museum brought in I believe, 14 B-25s to commemorate their brave mission in early WW 2. Gerry

Very cool Gerry. I assume it was the Yankee Lady you flew in? They are based here in willow run and make all the circuits. I'd like to do the B25 next to see what that is like. I love that plane too. Especially the gun ship version the Marines / USAAF flew in the Pacific.

Gerry.........there was an accident at an airshow in Dayton, Ohio today. A plane carrying a "wing walker" crashed and both died. Terrible........

Never like to see or hear about these crashes.... simply tragic.

Yes, very sad. I am about 25 miles from there. The talent and skill of these pilots is amazing. Gerry

Just googled Rc WWII airplanes. 17 foot wing span Avero land caster, yes all 4 engines work. 19 foot wingspan B17 and a 1-5 scale corsair. Holy Crap are those impressive planes. B29 superfortress with 4 chain saw engines. Amazing to watch...

Todd

Yeah, there are some crazy R/C stuff out there. There's a video of a B52 with 8 real turbine engines, but sadly it crashes after takeoff.

The things a monster !!

I have not flown my RC planes for awhile, but I used to take pics and video from the plane. Might have to put some floats on one and take it on the Benni ??? Hmmmmm .....

I take out a foam Beaver and fly from our Bennie. The one I mess with is by Flyzone flys great, not very aerobatic but a joy to fly. I actually flew it today, photo attached.

I take out a foam Beaver and fly from our Bennie. The one I mess with is by Flyzone flys great, not very aerobatic but a joy to fly. I actually flew it today, photo attached.
Very cool. Yeah, the top wingers are not the greatest acrobatic planes, but nice & simple to fly. I have a GWS Slow Stik, flys great & nice n slow. I have a Great Planes Seawind that I guess I should get built and try out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hX47Q5Dn2w?iframe=true&width=670&height=400

gpma1169-actiona-2.jpg

I second that, you need to build the seawind.....glow, electric, or gas?

It's electric. That's all I have. Never messed much with glow except in cars. Too messy and the local parks frown on the noise they make ... :)

Someone on our lake had an rc plane buzzing around. I couldn't get a good look from where I was but it looked cool and sounded nice.

Back