Aircraft Pics .... Post them up

Flying RC is a lot of fun, every time I'm alone floating around and put a plane up it seems like a few seconds and I have lots of friends. Pretty good way to spend a day on your Bennie. I used to fly glow planes when I first got into the hobby, here is a float plane that my neighbor said I would fly the wings off....notice the covering coming off the right horizontal stab :)
SL_Saratoga.jpg

Found a cool and somewhat sad thing today. Google map Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson Arizona. It's a plane graveyard. There are thousands of planes of all types. You can zoom is really close. Old F4 phantoms, A10 thunderbolts, F14, F15, F111's etc. Pretty neat to see. I can't imagine how much money is setting there just in scrap metal alone. Bunch of commercial airplanes as well

yep, most of those planes can be put back in service with minimal effort.

Found a cool and somewhat sad thing today. Google map Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson Arizona. It's a plane graveyard. There are thousands of planes of all types. You can zoom is really close. Old F4 phantoms, A10 thunderbolts, F14, F15, F111's etc. Pretty neat to see. I can't imagine how much money is setting there just in scrap metal alone. Bunch of commercial airplanes as well
I lived down the road from there when I lived in Tucson. Never made the tour though.

Actually some planes ARE BRAND NEW as the gov't would order planes then hold off putting them in service.

The weather is perfect for long term storage.

Scrapping was a big business back then. There were scrapyards scattered all around the perimeter.

If you ever get out there, take the tour and check out the Pima Air & Space Museum. Nice place.

A neighbor here who flies back and forth to "work" in Ohio, because he CAN in his Lake LA-250.

Does he call in sick all winter when the lake is froze over. Sorry boss my plane, I mean car...the kids are sick...click

Well, he IS the boss.

Nice. I guess you would have to be to own a plane! Sounds like your situated in the executive cove there Tom!!

Actually we're in the cheap seats, but we like to look B)

I'll post a pic real soon of the latest heritage flight in Michigan. F86 SABRE, F100 SUPER SABRE and P51D MUSTANG. So awesome

Heritiage flight at Thunder Over Michigan

F100 Super Sabre, F86 Sabre, P51D Mustang

B-24 Diamond LIl built at Willow Run near Detroit MIchigan and my photo circa 1999

B29 Superfortress FIFI. God bless my wife as when it landed she said I have never seen a B29 called F1F1. I promptly called her a IDIOT saying its FIFI, Not F1F1. Hahhhahahhaha

Todd

Our lake, Lake Murray was used in 1942 for the Doolittle Raiders to train for their mission to bomb Tokyo. It is said that six B-25 crashed in our lake during all the training exercises. If I remember correctly it was in September of 2005 that this B-25 was towed to shore one evening, it was lifted out of our lake the next morning, packaged and shipped to Alabama. This photo was taken the afternoon after it was brought to shore... very exciting to watch that evening and most of the next day. Many took time from work to watch history rise to the top.
LM_B25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Our lake, Lake Murray was used in 1942 for the Doolittle Raiders to train for their mission to bomb Tokyo. It is said that six B-25 crashed in our lake during all the training exercises. If I remember correctly it was in September of 2005 that this B-25 was towed to shore one evening, it was lifted our of our lake the next morning, packaged and shipped to Alabama. This photo was taken the afternoon after it was brought to shore... very exciting to watch that evening and most of the next day. Many took time from work to watch history rise to the top.
Wow, amazing story and thanks for sharing.

Wow that's awesome !!! Thanks for posting that !!!!

For clarification the plane that was raised was crashed in 43, this one was not crashed during the Doolittle training mission to bomb Tokyo. Pretty cool to see, if interested just google b25 in Lake Murray and you can see all kinds of info.

Steve

Back