Alum. Prop with motor

Tazdnr

Reaction score
My dealer is tell me I have to buy a alum. Prop? I thought the motor came with one?

I asked my dealer specifically about it, because the stainless prop for my Mercury is $600+, and he just stated it was included, with water testing to get the right pitch as needed.

He is tell me that a alum. Prop is about $160.00

In my opinion and experience, prop is included in price of boat and should be lake tested to make sure it's right. If it doesn't perform as expected, he should continue to swap props until your satisfied.

Mine was included with the first one(aluminum on 90hp) but that boat was bought on his lot as he ordered it, so it was included in the price, my last one the prop was extra (stainless) but I built it from ground up so I expected it. with a 150 on there I'm pretty sure you'd want a stainless, unless your lake is prone to smashing props up.

Heck, my dealer tried to charge me $50 for a set of 4 ropes when I picked up the boat.

I was onto his tricks prior to delivery, and showed up with my own ropes. Then, I realized he only put a couple of gallons of gas in the boat. What a cheapskate.

I certainly would not pay one cent more for the boat for a prop. It's part of every quality boat dealer's preparation. And if it's 150 hp or larger, the prop ought to be stainless.

Our local Mercury dealer charges $443 for his Enertia stainless props. But there's no demo'ing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A prop was included in my boat build. And I went through 4 or 5 different props until I found one that performed exactly as I wanted. Went with a stainless 15-3/4 X 15 Saltwater Series II on a 200 VMAX SHO

A prop was included in my boat build. And I went through 4 or 5 different props until I found one that performed exactly as I wanted. Went with a stainless 15-3/4 X 15 Saltwater Series II on a 200 VMAX SHO
That was the first and only prop I tried, happy to know it was the right choice! I just went through Yamaha's performance bulletins and that was the one recommended.

The only combo I haven't tried is the same prop in a 17 pitch. I run around 6300 rpm's WOT now, and I think I can get that down to 6000 and increase my top speed a little too. But at the same point I love the hole-shot I have now. I will probably beg to try one out for an afternoon to settle it.

The 17 is what they recommend for the 250 I believe, but if they are willing to let you try, it can't hurt!!

Prop came on with my boat.. aluminum, but it's on a 75 yamaha and does fine..... I wouldn't think you would have to pay extra for a prop.... although my dealer did get under my skin when I took our boat in for service at the end of the first season... noticed I had a low tire on the trailer and asked him to put a little air in it while it was in the shop... they did... but they charged me $25 bucks for it.... I couldn't believe it... asked him to justify that charge and was told shop labor was 100 an hour and minimum job was 1/4 hour = 25 bucks... I said you're kidding me.. That's not really what I said, but we'll discuss that some other time... uh, needless to say my boat was serviced elsewhere this past year.

Prop was included with my boat and motor. Aluminum though.

25 bucks for air??? Should have gone to your truck, found a bag, blown it up, tied a knot, and given them back their air.

Back