Aluminum fence replacement?

jmoreland

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to tackle this myself on my 2001 2575FS. Just curious if anyone has tried it? I've been doing a lot of research on it and it seems to be doable. Any info would be much appreciated!

Are you replacing complete fence or just the aluminum insert? At least in later models the sheet is not replaceable in the standard sense. The sheet is taped and crimped into the fence. You could bend the crimped portion back, replace the sheet, then crip it again. Tedious but doable in my opinion. 

Why are you replacing? If not dented, you might look into a vinyl wrap. Check out BigKahuna's thread. 

Mine has some pretty bad dents in it. We bought the boat last year from the original owners and have put a ton of sweat equity in it getting the interior all cleaned up. The outside now just needs to look as good as the inside. The price of the aluminum insert isn't that bad at all. Looking like it will be a Fall project

Please document with pictures and show us the progress 

I would think that it wouldn't be to bad. Looking forward to seeing your progress 

I'm thinking about trying to tackle this myself on my 2001 2575FS. Just curious if anyone has tried it? I've been doing a lot of research on it and it seems to be doable. Any info would be much appreciated!

Hopefully you'll be able to do it yourself because it's expensive as hell to have the dealer do it. I inquired about replacing one section of fencing and after removing the furniture, removing the damaged panel, replacing the damaged panel, having it painted, having the decals matched and replaced, and replacing the furniture. I was given a quote of $2750-$3250............. And this was only 1 section on an I/O that went from the port side gate and wrapped around to back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2008 2575 RCW with a 6.2 Mercruiser I/O .   A Windstorm tossed her around and destroyed the bimini, the frame, even the side rails the Bimini attaches to.  Anyway, each section cost about $600.00 to replace.  Here is the kicker.  They no longer make the decals.  When insurance replaces the rear panels, not only will the paint not match, but they won't have matching decals.  Something to think about before diving in.  I may pay out of pocket to replace the remaining panels to have them all match.  

I have a 2008 2575 RCW with a 6.2 Mercruiser I/O .   A Windstorm tossed her around and destroyed the bimini, the frame, even the side rails the Bimini attaches to.  Anyway, each section cost about $600.00 to replace.  Here is the kicker.  They no longer make the decals.  When insurance replaces the rear panels, not only will the paint not match, but they won't have matching decals.  Something to think about before diving in.  I may pay out of pocket to replace the remaining panels to have them all match.  

Go to a local vinyl sign shop, they should be able to easily replicate something close for decals.

I did the fencing on my old boat. It was not real hard to do at all. Probably the toughest part was not denting or bending the new stuff as you put it in. On my old boat it had slot for it to slide in which was tough to do since it was a really old boat. It is doable just take you time and get quality siding.

My interior is white and tan so very neutral. Top 2 right now are caribou brown or champagne. There is one blue that I really like as well. 

My samples came in yesterday. Now the hard part, me and the wife agreeing on a color!

Where are you getting your samples from?

Looking forward to some pictures.  Before, during and after would be fantastic. Regardless, good luck with the job.

I appreciate all of the responses, and great tips.  Now I am leaning towards a DIY job on the rails for now.  If I take the boat in during the summer I will be missing out on the season.  Now I am considering repairing the aluminum rails myself, and getting it repaired professionally during the winter.  I have googled topics on repairing the aluminum rails, and haven't seen anything  very useful yet.  What are your thoughts on repairing the rails to get through the summer.  Without the rails repaired, I can't use my Bimini.  Does anyone have experience bending them back into use able shape?   BTW...one side is bent pretty bad...

There is no selling on the forums and I would try a dealer or Ebay etc. I have an 06 and my lights don't look like that.

There is no selling on the forums and I would try a dealer or Ebay etc. I have an 06 and my lights don't look like that.

I think he is referring to the fishing models for that year range. I believe the fencing went all the way to the toon eyelets.

We just had a hail storm and damaged 75% of panels.  I am going to replace the fencing if I can find a new decal package- any advice where to find the entire decal package for an S20 Bennington - 2014

Back