Amp Recommendations

Chris Willis

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at installing a Kicker KXMA400.4 amp to better the sound quality of my Bennington 225GSR. Currently, I have the Kicker KMC1 Media Center and 4 Kicker BKM61 speakers. I've never been that impressed with the sound of my boat.

A couple questions - Does anyone have experience with this amp and what was the overall sound outcome. Secondly, would I need to install a 2nd battery?

I'm currently looking at installing a Kicker KXMA400.4 amp to better the sound quality of my Bennington 225GSR. Currently, I have the Kicker KMC1 Media Center and 4 Kicker BKM61 speakers. I've never been that impressed with the sound of my boat.

A couple questions - Does anyone have experience with this amp and what was the overall sound outcome. Secondly, would I need to install a 2nd battery?
That amp is only rated at 50 watts RMS per channel. I'm sure it will sound better than just the head unit, but I would recommend a little more power if you're going to all of the trouble to install an amp. Just my 2 cents. As for a second battery, it's always a good idea to have one, especially if you play the stereo a lot without the engine running. I installed a big stereo in mine and don't have a second battery, but we mostly cruise and listen to music.

Chris, my clear recommendation is to bypass the amp and install the Rockford Punch powered subwoofer. A good number of folks (including me) on this board have done so and I can say unequivocally that you will be impressed by the difference a sub will make. Do a search and you'll find detailed information on how to install one. Easy peasy...

No experience with that particular amp but I had a five channel Kicker amp that worked fine. Powered four Wetsounds speakers plus two subs. I'd suggest installing a five channel amp vs. the four in the event you want to add a sub later on. While the addition of a second battery isn't absolutely necessary I'd also suggest doing it for peace of mind. Nice being able to run the stereo all day without concern of starting the boat at the end of the day. My. 02.

Any particular model number of powered amp?
A number of us have used the Rockford-Fosgate R300-12p. I for one am extremely happy with the simple install, and the sound is great. There is a very good thread on this site covering the amp, and the install.

Back