Anchor hoist

Finchlake

Reaction score
I am debating an automatic anchor hoist, has anyone used one and are they worth it??

I don't have one but I helped a friend fix his anchor windlass recently. We took it complete off because it sheared off the bolts that hold it to the boat when the rope got tangled, and he didn't stop it fast enough. As he reversed the rope wrapped around the guide and then when he went forward he snapped it off. The little guide is supposed to keep the rope in the track. It is really nice when it works but it is something you need to watch carefully, and keep all your fingers and toes away. Those motors are very powerful, and you have to make sure there isn't any slack in the line in either the front or the back where you are depositing the line. Otherwise it could get tangled and create the problem we had. We drilled out the bolts, replaced the guide, and mounted it back on the boat. It works well as long as you go slow and stop as soon as you see things get out of alignment. When it works I wish I had one. If I did, I might have it on it's own battery.

I'm all for fancy toys and such, but unless I were in a fairly deep natural lake I wouldn't bother. My lake is so shallow that SOP for falling overboard is to stand up.

I have a 2011 20SLi and installed a Minn Kota Automatic Anchor in the front of my Bennington.

After one full season and can honestly say I had zero problems with it. I was on the fence about getting it installed but my wife said just get it. I am glad I did. My lake is only 5 to 8 feet deep. But it keeps all the muck and weed's on the outside of the boat. Once in a while I have to lay on the floor and clean off the anchor but again the mess is never in the boat. My dealer custom fitted the cover so it is just perfect. To be honest with you I personaly would not be without it. If you would like a photo email me at jlfinn@charter.net

Looney - What kind of anchor can you use with the Minn Kota? I am thinking of getting a box anchor and would like to get the Minn Kota at some point. However, the Minn Kota site is not very clear if the device will work with the box anchor.

Thanks

Eric

I have a 2011 20SLi and installed a Minn Kota Automatic Anchor in the front of my Bennington.

After one full season and can honestly say I had zero problems with it. I was on the fence about getting it installed but my wife said just get it. I am glad I did. My lake is only 5 to 8 feet deep. But it keeps all the muck and weed's on the outside of the boat. Once in a while I have to lay on the floor and clean off the anchor but again the mess is never in the boat. My dealer custom fitted the cover so it is just perfect. To be honest with you I personaly would not be without it. If you would like a photo email me at jlfinn@charter.net

Looney - What kind of anchor can you use with the Minn Kota? I am thinking of getting a box anchor and would like to get the Minn Kota at some point. However, the Minn Kota site is not very clear if the device will work with the box anchor.

Thanks

Eric
Eric. It is a 3 prong I think they call it a river anchor 15 lbs Black in color. It was included I did not get a choice. Like I said email me and I will forward you some photo's.

Back