Anchor platform

brett53151

Reaction score
I bought my 20 SSI a year ago and have been throwing a 15 pound river anchor over the side. I looked online for better anchoring ideas, but the ones I found were overpriced ( in my opinion ) and didn't look that well built. I took a few measurements and came up with this platform. We have used the setup probably 50 times lowering and raising and it is rock solid. My 200# son even dove off it and it didn't budge. If anyone is interested in what materials I used and the specifics, let me know.

Anchor deck.jpg

Looks pretty solid!!

That looks better than I thought after I maximized the pic.

I'd like to know the materials and mounting set up you used.

Good job !!

I used treated cedartone lumber, 2 x 4's for the frame and 1 x 3's for the deck. I removed the skirting on the outside mounting location and used flathead 5/16 furniture screws for clearance under the skirting. On the inside mounting I used 3/8 lag screws. On my model pontoon the fit of the 2 x 4's was such a perfect fit that I had to tap the boards in place. The 2 x 4's are 36 inches long, 18 inches for mounting and 18 inches sticking out. Because of the tight fit I only used 3 mounting screws on each mounting board. I used gorilla glue between all joints and secured with deck screws. My anchor winch is a Trac 35 pontoon. All materials were purchased at Home Depot.

Hey Brett, I remembered reading something about treated wood for bunk boards being bad, here is one thread which mentions it. Might be worth checking a little deeper into sooner rather than later, here is the link, post 11 + 12

It depends on the chemical used for the treatment. The stuff we sell is MCA Treated which is ok for aluminum contact.

Double check and make sure it's aluminum contact safe !!

Last edited by a moderator:
The wood I used was Weathershield MCA treated so I think I am OK. Thanks for mentioning it though. I guess I just got lucky with my choice.

Nicely done! Great idea. Looks good too.

This made me think that a lighter-duty version of this could be used as a temporary grill stand when beached. The few times we've beached our boat, everyone seems to like to stand around in the water behind the boat sipping beers. So that would be a perfect place to set a portable grill, like one of the smaller Weber Q models. Any drippings would be no big deal. When you're done grilling, the shelf slides out for storage. I like.

Do you happen to know the width (from port to starboard)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back