Anchor storage

taylorfour

Reaction score
I need ideas for storeing my anchor. We like to hit several spots during a day on the river so the anchor needs to be easy to access. I've been just laying it on the floor but it's always seems to be in the way. Thinking about some type of rack mounted on the front deck. I can't be the first to have this issue, so what have you guys done?

Mounted a MinnKota electric.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/DH-40-DECKHAND-PONTOON/

Not mine, but good pic. Mines off to side on my RLi.

minn-kota-deck-hand-ankerwinde-4_z4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 5 gal bucket. Not fancy, but effective.  B)

Yep I've got a box anchor that I kept from my wakeboard boat as well.  They are great anchors.  Hold very well and fold flat when not in use.

I use a plastic bucket probably about 2-3 gallons. It's the right height, and fits perfectly under one of the seats. I drape the rope into the bucket loosely and when I get to the end of my rope, I lay the anchor on top of the rope in the bucket. Then, when I throw out the anchor, only the amount of rope needed, comes out of the bucket. I just close the seat back over the bucket. Works nicely for me. I'd love to have an anchor winch, but it have to be mounted in a place where I'm not willing to give up floor space for. 

I store my main anchor in the port side front corner seat........my stern anchor is stored in the changing room......

+1 on the box anchor, easiest anchor to set and folds up thin, goes into bag and stored under a corner seat

I really need to bite the bullet and get one of those anchors.

When is the last time you anchored?

I have the small box as well, i use a plastic tote and don't even fold it up, just pull it up, swash it around to get the mud off and in the tote it goes. I then store it in the changing room.

When is the last time you anchored?
A few weeks back. I would anchor more if I had more success in doing so and could get the boat exactly where I wanted it. It would get used for sure if I had one.

A few weeks back. I would anchor more if I had more success in doing so and could get the boat exactly where I wanted it. It would get used for sure if I had one.
Lakeliving, we tie up with other boats quite often.  The box anchor works so well that last weekend when we rafted up with 4 other boats one of them said "We don't need to anchor if Link drops as he can do it and hold us all" 

Those idiots think its me not the anchor :rolleyes:

Get a box.  We love ours.

I'll consider the box anchor if anything happens to my "Digger" anchor............On its 9th season now.

We also have the box anchor and store it under the seat but don't like to put it away every time we pull it in so we leave it on the deck. It would be nice to find a box big enough to store it opened but small enough to take up minimum room.

MinnKota Deckhand 40 only way to go. Got it as a Christmas gift and did not think I really needed it but was I wrong. The convenience is super nice. No rope, no storage, no tangles and no effort after a long set of swimming or relaxing. We usually set around the end of coves and on Dale Hollow Lake there are some really steep mountians making the water around 60 to 90 feet deep even in the coves. It sure is nice not having to pull up all that rope. With a few hints might even get one for Christmas.

The box anchor deserves 5 stars.  I purchased a small box anchor about a month ago (after reading all the endorsements from members of this forum) and I am glad I made the purchase.  Before I bought the box anchor, I used a river anchor and  it would not hold if the wind was more than a very light breeze.  I now throw the box anchor off the bow and if I want to stop any sway, I will throw the river anchor off the stern.

I also use a Box and store it in the changing area.

Here is mine, short video from last weekend,

as you can see when I first put it in is 

slid about 2 ft before it really dug in.

winds that day 15 to 20 and gust to 25

Back