Anchor Winch

3fletch

Reaction score
Hey folks... looking for reviews/recommendations for a bow mounted anchor winch... I have a 22 foot SSX and am doing a lot of fishing anchored in a river... and... I move around a lot while fishing and raising/lowering the anchor can become a chore...

Looking for advice/experience with (make/model)... recommendations concerning mounting technique and locations, electrical hook-up, remote controls, etc

Thanks in advance...

3fletch

Minnkota Deckhand 40. I love mine. You can add remote switch to work from console or use switch on the anchor. You can use several different types of anchors. Front section will flip up. I tie my boat off so the front of boat is always away from the dock or other boat. Know a lot of others who use and like very much. I have had a couple other brands on other boats but nothing with as good a quality.

bfp.jpg

CTays, thanks for the pic and response... It supports other info I have on the Minnkota winches... I am assuming the 40 in the model name means it can ha Elena up to a 40lb anchor?   Also... Do you have a picture of the anchor hauled in ...band in a stowed position?   I have. Even trying to figure out how my fluked anchor will be "captured" by the winch or whether I will still need to lift it, and the 6' of chain, out of the water by hand and lay it on the extended bow.

/1347146767/gallery_1371_170_24646.jpg

The pic above shows anchor stowed. We have the DH40 with remote and I LOVE IT. It pulls up our navy anchor with chain and locks it in place like above pic. Only touching of anchor is to clean mud off. It has an switch on back of the housing. I use remote till I hear the chain. I then go to front, swish anchor around in water to clean, then hit switch on housing to finish stowing. Easy peazy ..... :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
SEMPERFI8387,   Thanks for the picture and narrative.... Looks and sounds like a neat rig...  

And.... Thanks for your service!!

Old post but.. I have a Deckhand 40 "pontoon package" and it works well with a 25 lb river anchor on a 20 ft pontoon. The spool is not large and holds about 100 feet of rode. If your in 20 feet of water, most of it should be deployed for solid hold on a windy day. With a 25-40 lb anchor, it automatically pays out line as needed or until you lock it with a momentary push of the "up" button. For my next pontoon purchase I would like to find a cleaner solution. Mine is mounted on the front deck and the claw type river anchor works super but in the stowed position it looks like a battering ram on the front of the boat.
A low profile under/thru deck solution would be cool but I have not found anything yet.
3fletch: The DH40 requires an anchor with a round solid barrel in order for the "flip up" feature to stow correctly, It won't handle more than a foot or so of light chain (it comes with a short piece), lots of pics/video's on the web. The "pontoon version" came with a base plate that allowed me mount it on a pontoon that has only a few inches of deck in front of the playpen. Even with the plate I had to mount it at an angle.

Actually I have a 28lb "Navy" anchor and it stows properly. Depending on your model, the fronts have more deck space so it can be mounted straight like mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3274.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 9
It would be cool to have a battering ram on the front of our boats!

I try not to anchor in 20 feet of water. Too much line to pull up for those of us without an anchor system.

That navy anchor looks good, definitely better than the Boatech Gripper I have. Would post a pic but my DH40 crapped out and is in for repair. It was only on the boat about a month. At least removal was easy since it came with a base plate, it slid off with the removal of one locking screw.

That navy anchor looks good, definitely better than the Boatech Gripper I have. Would post a pic but my DH40 crapped out and is in for repair. It was only on the boat about a month. At least removal was easy since it came with a base plate, it slid off with the removal of one locking screw.

Yeah, I got into some rocky areas and tore up the rubber coating. I want to remove it at the end of the season, cut off the loose rubber portions and re-coat it. I actually was thinking of trying Rhino-Liner. Not sure how that would hold up, but I figure if a truck bed can take cement blocks, it should be pretty good.

Re:Rhino-Liner
As an Engineer i tried coating a vibratory bowl (feeds parts into an automatic assembly machine) with Rhino and it worked well. The parts being fed were hardened stainless steel with some sharp edges. The stuff lasted for years under horrific conditions.
My anchor rubber coating is wearing, not from rocks but from my pickled friends using it to open beer bottles.
(Picture a group of guys sitting in the front lounge seats, sharing a 25 lb bottle opener that functions as an anchor when needed).
I can feel the machetes being drawn so I will say.. the driver sticks to soda pop.

I have thought about getting an anchor winch, but it looks like it would interfere with the mooring cover if mounted on the bow. I don't think I'd want it on the stern since the anchor would most likely hit the side of the toon, the transponder, the ladder, the motor,... well, you see where I'm going with that.

I have thought about getting an anchor winch, but it looks like it would interfere with the mooring cover if mounted on the bow. I don't think I'd want it on the stern since the anchor would most likely hit the side of the toon, the transponder, the ladder, the motor,... well, you see where I'm going with that.

Nope, just get cover modified.

Hello club, I am a new"ish" bennington owner, 22 ssx and I have been trying to find information on how to wire in a Minn Kota deckhand and came across this thread.
I see a couple of you posted pictures of exactly where i am planning on mounting mine, but how did you wire it in? There are a couple of wires right under the bow on the starboard side that I thought I could use but I get no power to them no matter what switch I flip. Did you run wire back to the batteries under the boat and go that route?
Thanks for any assistance

You’ll want the optional helm switch. Run 12/2 wire back to battery through m brackets then across to battery side (if like mine). Takes about 32-34’ of wire. Those leads go to circuit board (Ground) and power goes to breaker on unit. Hot from breaker goes to circuit board. Helm switch goes to circuit board. Easy to wire. I just replaced my circuit board. Was having issues and it finally crapped out. I knew it was the board cause I could hot wire motor and it would work.

Back