Anchor

Debbie T

Reaction score
We recently bought a used 2016 Bennington RSRX that is 10' wide. The dealer gave us a anchor however when we tried to use it this weekend it would not hold. Could you possibly recommend a anchor and weight. Thanks so much as we are learning so much from you all! Just a FYI we haven't had a boat in over 25 years and so much has changed! You all are simply the BEST!

The trick to anchoring is not so much the anchor or the weight it's the scope(ratio) of anchor rode(line) that you have out for a given depth of water. For example, if you are anchoring in 30 feet of water a 2:1 scope would be 60 feet of anchor rode. The amount of scope necessary varies depending on conditions-weight, boat size, boat shape, tides, winds, depth, bottom structure there are many variables. I would assume you are anchoring in a lake so I would recommend you start with at least a 3:1 scope and see if it holds. Always set the anchor into the wind, you can also after dropping the anchor reverse at idle speed to set the anchor to help it bight. If you find this does not do the trick add more rode to increase your scope and repeat the setting instructions.

what CAVU said.....Anchor into the wind....and lots O' rode. And if you are on a busy lake......and deep. And have at least 100' of anchor line out. I use an anchor buoy. Also depending on the type of lake bottom. Rocky, sludge, silt/sand, etc. Try an box anchor or a Richter anchor.

I have a 25lb Richter and have had great luck with it.

The lake that I am on has a thick mud bottom. After trying out several different types of anchors I finally found one that works better than the rest for my situation. I use a 20 lb. River anchor. It sinks deep into the mud and then holds well. Occasionally on extremely windy days, I have had to drop a second River Anchor overboard. Other anchors didn't have anything to bite into, so they didn't hold well. Since a pontoon boat sits so high on the water, I have found that it moves around a bit with the wind when anchored

Agree on rope length. I put together the following package (30 lb) and it works great. I also keep a thick bath mat with it in storage for the bow so I can place it on that as we move and to protect the seagrass floor. you can go with a smaller connector for the rope to chain connection but make sure you are at least 3/8" (or larger as it it tight" on chain to anchor as the top of the anchor is thick) even with the 3/8 (m10) I have to manipulate it some to get it on The anchor does fit below our seat directly across from the captains chair but you have to turn it sideways to get it in but fits fine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014HEWFKM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E6DXM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W12DGSI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K40F03M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was coming home one day after the fiber optic crew was cleaning up for the day. The guy ask me if I wanted a length of the line they were using to pull the conduit in the ground. It's call Bull Line or Dura-Line WP18. It has a tensile strength of 1800lbs. What do you guys think about using it for anchor line? He gave me about 500' or more. He said the rot time is about 20 years.

Attachments

• Bull-LinePullTapeDataSheet.pdf
    154.4 KB · Views: 14
I have a fortress anchor and it works Awesome!!!

Slightly off topic...but how is everyone storing their anchor line? I have a homemade box anchor (mine doesn't collapse like the store bought ones) and I just wrap my line around it for storing, but it somehow always seems to get tangled.

I have a place in the front, under the port curved seat. I straightened the line, put the loose end in the box, and simply dropped it in as I pulled it. When I got to the chain/anchor, I just sit it on top. When I need the anchor, I cast it and allow enough rope to come out, tie it off, and close the seat back, leaving the remainder inside.

Slightly off topic...but how is everyone storing their anchor line? I have a homemade box anchor (mine doesn't collapse like the store bought ones) and I just wrap my line around it for storing, but it somehow always seems to get tangled.

I store 100’ of line like this ..... ;)
MinnKota DH40

33259AB2-8B14-4DEA-A98B-3D7497900A03.jpeg

Back