Anchoring in Marco Island area- Keewaydin Island visit (Anchoring, where to visit)

Michael Lyman

Reaction score
Have a Benington up north and we are very use to inland lakes, boating, docking, etc. and have escaped to the southwest Florida area for a bit.
We are renting a pontoon boat tomorrow and want to visit Keewaydin Island. I could use a bit of advice on docking, etc...

Few Questions:
  • Should we go to the gulf beach side or east side to dock? Any recommended area to hang out there?
  • Any suggestion on best way to pull up to the shore and anchor the boat? Again, I'm use to dropping anchor in an inland lake, not beaching
  • Can anyone verify that Keewaydin Island is open again? I read they shut down for a bit cause of COVID
Thanks in advance.

Assuming you're coming from Marco? If so, beach on the river side, southern end. That's where you'll find everyone else. There will be some current running along there so you might want a second stern anchor to keep it lined up. You don't want to be beaching (nor anchoring) on the Gulf side unless you know what you're doing. You'll obviously need to be very aware of wind and tides either way. And, EVERYTHING is shallow here, just a few feet at best. Just because you can see water doesn't mean you can go there. Have fun!

Back