Another New Years Day Barefoot water skiing tournament.....

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Well it has become a tradition for us. Every year the Carolina ski team based at Lake Wiley SC hosts a New Year's Day barefoot waterskiing tournament at Lake Norman Marina, the Bennington/Cobalt dealership. Participants from all over including Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, SC and of course NC were there. Ages ranged from 8 to 77 yrs. old. The difference this year was the air temp was only 23 degrees and the water temp was 49 degrees. How those skiiers got into the water much less skiing was beyond me. They were phenomenal with all of the tricks and deep water starts. Sorry no pics or video. Didn't want to take my gloves off. Ha!

I didn't know about that happening at the lake.

I didn't know about that happening at the lake.
This was the 40th straight year they have held it here on New Year's day. Why they hold it on January 1st? I don't know. Diane and I were prepared. Dressed in layers, long johns, hats, gloves, blankets, lawn chairs and hot chocolate in Big Bubba! But still got cold towards the end. The first year we went it was about 50 degrees. You'll have to meet us there next year.....

This was the 40th straight year they have held it here on New Year's day. Why they hold it on January 1st? I don't know. Diane and I were prepared. Dressed in layers, long johns, hats, gloves, blankets, lawn chairs and hot chocolate in Big Bubba! But still got cold towards the end. The first year we went it was about 50 degrees. You'll have to meet us there next year.....

Linda and I talked about going, but talk is all we did. Didn’t want to brave the cold, plus had plenty to do with the new house. We went 3 years ago. I had always heard of people skiing off the dock and wondered how they did it.

Last edited:
Okay you guys, we need pic’s next year! :) Sounds like a really neat event. However, I know I’d never make it out for it due to Jan. 1st bowl games. That’s like an entire mini-holiday for me. :D

Okay you guys, we need pic’s next year! :) Sounds like a really neat event. However, I know I’d never make it out for it due to Jan. 1st bowl games. That’s like an entire mini-holiday for me. :D

Was looking for pics/video of the event last year. Must be in my wife's IPAD. I'll post some if I find it.....

Google Lake Norman Bearfoot for pictures. They also have Facebook page.

Also look up.........Carolina Show ski team.

Forget the Bowl games.......Big game tonight!

Back