Another night time boat crash on my lake

I'm a hard no on running docking lights while underway...those things are horrible and can ruin a good nite on the lake, and have many times for us....boater safety courses and common sense should rule, buy often don't..
I am not following your view of ruin a good night on the lake. I dont run mine unless I start to see a reason too, like bass boats hauling ass without lights. I see alot of others running at night without their lights and it has not ruined my night. lol

Sadly that houseboat is now a swimming dock.

Hard to believe nobody on the houseboat was hurt!

Our eyes can adjust to be able to see in remarkably low light, if they are allowed to. I sailed U.S. flag merchant ships around the world when I was young. When walking onto the bridge at night, it was advisable to pause in the chart room, with its red lighting, and let your eyes adjust for 10-15 minutes. The bridge itself was kept absolutely dark except for very subdued lighting on navigational equipment, all of which was hooded (i.e. radar). If you didn't let your eyes adjust, it was easy to walk right into somebody without seeing them. I'm sure the Navy guys here will agree.

Once adjusted, however, it was astonishing how much could be seen. Any exposure to bright lights would require a period of re-adjustment.
For that reason, I won't run with my docking lights on out of consideration for other boaters. And I have a powerful spotlight that I will only use as an emergency beacon to warn off another boat that may not see me, because it will ruin my night vision (and that of others).

My best defense is good night vision. I look away from the untrained skipper running with his docking lights on. If I can protect my night vision, I'll be able to avoid unlit or incautious boaters.

Its tough on populated lakes with all of the lights from the houses, but its a matter of being able to pick out silhouettes against the shore line, and you can train your mind for that. Driving at night is definitely 110% attention!

So, yeah, I favor the current navigational lighting rules - including prohibition against running with the docking lights on. I would also favor a training requirement for driving a boat - perhaps a requirement that one person on board must have the certification, whether driving or not.

Its kind of like the RV industry that sells a 45' diesel-pusher to an untrained owner, hands him or her the keys, and says "see y'all down the road! Good Luck!"

There's a good saying in the merchant fleet: "A collision at sea will ruin your whole day".

The lake we use is large and no houses directly on lake and no docks. We like to go out at night. Most of the time i am driving 18 miles back to my marina alone after dropping off family at a boat ramp closer to home. No going slow when you have 18 miles to go. Speed limit at night is 30mph which is what i drive at. With no moon i can’t see anything in front of me, no lights and i am going to hit you. I hope for the best and am still alive so it works. They should allow all forms leds to be on at nignt and it would be safer.

I am not following your view of ruin a good night on the lake. I dont run mine unless I start to see a reason too, like bass boats hauling ass without lights. I see alot of others running at night without their lights and it has not ruined my night. lol
On our lake I rarely see boats running fast at night, especially without lights..cruising the lake looking at stars is hard to do with a pontoon or two 2 miles out coming toward us with his docking lights on...sux...they're called docking lights for a reason...cause they're......for docking

Back