Anxious with a Small Set Back

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Just found out our new dock is done. Super Excited! The new pontoon and lift are set and have been waiting on the dock.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]However, we recently realized the notch in our seawall is 3 inches short of being wide enough for our new 4' dock (that oversight is totally on me). If it were not for this small detail, our new dock would be going in this Thursday. Now we need a custom bracket to connect dock and seawall securely...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So, I got the requested measurements into the dock company to make a custom bracket this past weekend. I found out today that they forgot to tell me about one more measurement they needed.  Now everything is on hold until I can get them the last measurement, and they can then make me my custom bracket.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am so anxious I could jump out of my own skin, and so bummed that I am stuck with this delay!  So close...but so far away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Just found out our new dock is done. Super Excited! The new pontoon and lift are set and have been waiting on the dock.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]However, we recently realized the notch in our seawall is 3 inches short of being wide enough for our new 4' dock (that oversight is totally on me). If it were not for this small detail, our new dock would be going in this Thursday. Now we need a custom bracket to connect dock and seawall securely...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So, I got the requested measurements into the dock company to make a custom bracket this past weekend. I found out today that they forgot to tell me about one more measurement they needed.  Now everything is on hold until I can get them the last measurement, and they can then make me my custom bracket.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am so anxious I could jump out of my own skin, and so bummed that I am stuck with this delay!  So close...but so far away.[/SIZE]

But there is light at the end of the tunnel! Others on the forum don't know when there going to get their boats. Here's to a quick fix to your situation.

True that.  Me and my first world problems.   :blink:

Excited to report I was able to track down the phone number of a nearby neighbor that lives on the lake.  He is going to get me my measurement when the lake settles down a little bit.  So thankful to have such a nice nearby neighbor up there.

Excited to report I was able to track down the phone number of a nearby neighbor that lives on the lake.  He is going to get me my measurement when the lake settles down a little bit.  So thankful to have such a nice nearby neighbor up there.

Great news!  Won't be long now.

Great news!  Won't be long now.

Doesn't look like it will be. Having a boat and being lakefront has literally been a lifelong dream of mine. Of course, that leads me to be less patient about all of this than I should be as we near the home stretch.

Sounds the like you're coming down the home stretch!! Don't forget to post Pics!

Pics 

Pics and More Pics

Anxious To See :)

131636602.jpg

Doesn't look like it will be. Having a boat and being lakefront has literally been a lifelong dream of mine. Of course, that leads me to be less patient about all of this than I should be as we near the home stretch.

Mine too:)

Do you have augers for your dock?  The water level is pretty high and I had a dock wash away when it got rough but it was just setting on the bottom and not screwed in.

Do you have augers for your dock?  The water level is pretty high and I had a dock wash away when it got rough but it was just setting on the bottom and not screwed in.

New dock was just built by MADS this winter.  No augers.  It was built to simply sit on the bottom.  

So, your dock washed away?  Houghton Lake?  Were you able to retrieve your dock, or was it just gone? This sounds horrible.

We have a lot of money going into this new dock. I shared my concerns last week about the water level, and the danger of the dock washing away once its put in.  MADS assured me they have not had an issue.

Now I'm concerned again. I may need to follow up with MADS and check about angering it in. 

When does the boat go in? 

When does the boat go in? 

Boat is ready.  It's waiting on 1st my new dock being put in (my current concern with lake levels and the seawall bracket) and then my lift.  Thus, its all backed up waiting on the dock.

I'd check with your insurance agent to make sure you have coverage. 

I was thinking this yesterday.  I am calling my agent today to check in about my dock and lift from a coverage perspective.

Also, I contacted MADS and we are putting in augers at the half way point, and end of the dock. I am thinking that should anchor it firmly once attached to the seawall at its base.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're on Houghton Lake.  We were in the north bay when our dock washed away.  It was a wood dock and we recovered it but the supports were all bent.

We have a MADS dock now, I believe this is our fourth year with the dock and we've been very pleased.  We are on the east shore so the waves can get pretty high.  My issue with MADS is they want to put the dock in when it is convenient for them, not necessarily when the water level is appropriate.  We have augers on every section (10').  Two years ago it got extremely windy and while the frame of the dock did not go away a couple of the Aztek sections did get knocked out.  The water was less than a foot below the dock.

How long is your dock?  I had a neighbor that did what you're talking about and the waves started lifting and bouncing the middle sections which ended up bending his supports.  

It also depends on if you get big waves on your shoreline and how far above the water your dock is.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful!  Thanks for the insights!!!  We are going out 68' (60' straight out, but with an 8'x10' platform forming an "L" at the end of the dock.  Now you have me thinking I should auger every section instead of just at the midway and end point. Hmmm...

I'm directly on the west shore.  When the wind and waves pick up they get higher than I would have expected for the west shore.  That said, the waves are typically cutting across from N to S.  Our property sits a little low, so with current water levels, the water will be less than a foot from the dock when it goes in.  With heavy waves, it will be getting hit somewhat heavily until the water level subsides a bit over the summer.

If you feel you need more augers, then I would put more in.  This is a big investment and the ease of mind will be worth the extra upfront dollars. 

Back