Anyone care to help me spend my $$??

GMG2

Reaction score
Hello everyone - first let me thank everyone that has taken their time to share info on this site. It has been very informative trying to research our boat. The last boat I had "ownership" of was a 65' Patrol Boat as a member of the "Persian Gulf Yacht Club" in the late 80's so my current  learning curve has been steep to say the least.

We live on Lake Hickory NC which is a relatively small lake ( 4,223 acres with 105 miles of shoreline) and we will be letting her rest on a floating lift under the cover of a dock which we are constructing now.

I am at the point of making a final determination if I'm going to get this boat ordered (was considering a Harris also) but still have a few lingering questions. Any experienced opinions welcomed!!

2015 Bennington 2275 RCW w/F250 3.3L Yamaha

Color:  Blackout w/Black Panels & Sandstone Interior

Blackout Pkg

ESP Performance Pkg. 

Battery Switch Port/Stbd 

Battery Power Dist. Panel 

Center Tube Fuel Tank 50.1 

Infloor Storage ESP 

Power Assisted Steering 

Reclining Stern Lounge Seats 

Co-Captain Lounge Chair 

Pillow Top w Black Stitching 

Extra Wide Helm Chair 

Faux Teak Aft Brown & Black 

Platinum Seagrass 

Clarion Sirius Radio Bluetooth & CD 

Illuminated Wet Sounds Speakers x 6 

Kicker Sub/Amp Upgrade 

Elevated Helm 

Stereo Remote Pad 

Bimini Top Hybrid Toy Hauler Black Pwdr Coat 

Mooring Quick Clips 

American Flag 

Blue LED Cupholders Lighting 

Rubrail Protectors 

Sharkshide Tube Protector 

Ski Pylon 52” Removable 

Stainless Steel Rubrail 

Washdown 8.5 Gallons 

Matching Boat Fenders x 4

Safety Equipment

Saltwater Series 2 SS Prop

2 Batteries DP

Fuel

Anchor

Just a few caveats:

Dealer has suggested no Sharkhide?

Is Clarion head unit a worthy upgrade?

Considered Sport Tower but I was told not available on 2275RCW yet I think one member here has one?

Is double bimini a worthy consideration for a long day in the sun?

Dealer recommends 3.3L 250 Yamaha over SHO - any thoughts

Sealed strakes?

Rough water pkg?

This is an attempt to buy our last boat first based on many things I've read here. Thanks again for everyones willingness to share their thoughts here on this forum.

Absolutely do Sharkhide - Am sure all forum will agree

Absolutely do Rough Water Package - Very inexpensive

Boat build looks great and Derrick has the sport tower on his 2275 but yeah, I don't think that is available anymore. And if your 4223 acre lake is "small" my 260 acre lake is a drip!

Congratulations,plus1 on the sharkhide .

When you activate your Sirius ,ask about a " lifetime subscription "

10 years ago I got a lifetime for $275.00 on a portable unit ( car, home ,boat & boombox )  ,I  upgraded it last year to include the baseball package for $100 more .I am sure that is more now ,but it is worth every penny now .

It is also transferable twice 

GMG2,

We have a 2575 with many similar features. I'm sure you will love it. This is a new boat to us too - only about a month old, so take that into account...

Dealer has suggested no Sharkhide? Your dealer must like the oxidized, discolored look. Weird. 

Is Clarion head unit a worthy upgrade? Not sure what any advantage would be, especially with the amp and sub upgrades. I've owned just about every brand of audio equipment made in the last 30 years and have found Sony to be my go-to. Maybe I just got lucky with them but it's the only brand I've owned that didn't eventually break (and I've got about a ton of Sony stuff), so I may be a little biased though.

Considered Sport Tower but I was told not available on 2275RCW yet I think one member here has one? I can't answer that but I do know the retractable hybrid toy hauler is not foldable (down like a bimini to lower the height of the boat) so take that into consideration with your covered dock with lift.

Is double bimini a worthy consideration for a long day in the sun? We wanted it too but opted to do a portable sun umbrella for the front instead. Didn't like the look of the double bimini on such a sporty boat but that's just us (not that everyone would think it looks bad).

Dealer recommends 3.3L 250 Yamaha over SHO - any thoughts? Our dealer recommended the same (3.3) because of his long-term success with the 3.3 but he didn't have anything specifically against the SHO. The 3.3 has been around a long time and I am too new to our SHO to provide feedback. Note that the SHO may now be cheaper than the 3.3 (at least it was a few months back as Yamaha had raised the pricing on the 3.3). Either one should give more than adequate performance. On a 2275, that thing should fly.

Sealed strakes? This was an option I would have liked to have but couldn't justify the cost for our use. If you don't boat is saltwater or aren't where you need to be concerned about invasive species, then you may be in the same situation but I'll defer to others for a more educated response.

Rough water pkg? If you will encounter rough water, highly recommend, especially with the speed capabilities that boat will have. However, if you'll never see that, you may not need it. If you think you're needs may change down the road, may be a good investment. Again, I'll defer to those with more experience on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus another on the Sharkhide.......

Yes on the double Bimini......in the dead of summer you're going to want that shade!

Only accessory you seem to be missing is the PTM Edge mirror.......check it out at their website......not only a must for watersports but just for overall safety and visibility!

What is considered "rough water"?

What is considered "rough water"?
We are primarily at Carlyle Lake, 26k acres of mostly open water. Sailboat heaven for the Midwest but can get quite rough. Whitecaps are very common.

We are also not far from Lake of the Ozarks. I think they are the reason the Rough Water Package was built and they even have a Lake of the Ozarks Edition but my understanding is that many of those features are now in the Rough Water Package. LOTO has lots of big cruisers that create quite a wake in a somewhat narrow lake with rock shores, on the weekends resulting in substantial converging waves in the busy areas that will punish pretty much everything other than, well, another big cruiser.

So the rough water package was a no brainer for us.

Thanks gnc, we're on a ~5,400 acre lake (a tiny pond according to GMG2) and they have a 26' limit although there are bigger boats grandfathered in. We don't have the rough water package, but do have the twin ellipticals with the strakes and the wave shield so hoping that helps with any major wakes.

Thanks gnc, we're on a ~5,400 acre lake (a tiny pond according to GMG2) and they have a 26' limit although there are bigger boats grandfathered in. We don't have the rough water package, but do have the twin ellipticals with the strakes and the wave shield so hoping that helps with any major wakes.
Would think you should be good without it but I'll let others chime in too. If there aren't whitecaps on our lake, we consider that smooth ^_^

Looks like a great build.  The hybrid Bimini looks flimsy and shakes easily and does not lower for trailering.  You might want to consider the curved Bimini.  Get the sharkhide factory applied.  The toons start to tarnish as soon as constructed.   

We are very good at spending other people's money but it looks like you are buying your second boat first. Congratulations. 

Think resale and the potential of being on other lakes. Sometimes a few extra bucks can help you down the road when upgrading or moving to a different lake.

Welcome, and where are you ordering the boat from?

Love love love the build. I am an especially big fan of the blackout on black panels.

I am on a 14million acre lake, so rough water pkg applies to me. With that said, I think it probably applies to you as well.

I am also a fan of the curved power Bimini. That is something that I really was unhappy to spend on with my boat. Now that I have it, it is possibly my favorite option.

That's all I have to add to what has already been written. Cheers!!

Hey New People,,, Is this the greatest Forum or What? 

Information you need?????,The great crew here is at your service!!!

Just saying

I'm on a 16,000 acre lake, but it's wide and very deep. The water's especially rough since the shoreline's all seawalls--sloshing like a bathtub on Sunday afternoons.

But we have a 40,000 acre lake 5 miles downstream and a 40,000 acre lake 11 miles upstream. It's nice having 650 miles of navigable water where we can do some long range cruising--staying in hotels or state park resort inns.

Wow, what a great forum. Thanks for all the replies! I'm still torn on 2 fronts. I think I may go with the curved bimini at this point but sill on the fence about the motor and Sharkshide. Looking at the pics posted in the other thread of the Sharkshide at one year creates more questions than answers unfortunately. Does this stuff really work??

The motor - my dealer has had some troubles with the Yamaha SHO but none from the 3.3L. I was leaning toward the SHO because the black shroud would match the black out scheme of the boat. The dealer shared that this problem doesn't rear it's ugly head until about 100hrs but Yamaha took care of the customer no questions asked due to the fact they were under warranty. I think he said the power head had to to replaced. The symptoms were noticeable vibration from the motor while underway and higher rpms than normal to get the boat up to speed. The dealer found a significant amount of metal in the filter. As I understand it he had a couple with the same problem. I'll have to decide if matching the color is worth the risk I guess.

Thanks again for everyones willingness to share personal experience. It's an invaluable asset for a FNG!

Yes the Sharkhide does work .

I have a spot on the transom that the factory missed ,it oxidized within a week .

Mine is in a slip at a marina aprox 5 months a season .I "try" ( weather permitting ) to wipe it down once a week at the sand bar .

Very easy when you keep up with it .

Back