Anyone care to help me spend my $$??

I spoke to Yamaha 6-15-2016 who in turn called and spoke to the dealer same day. Dealer asked for two props (he had two on backorder) and to date has received none and had no additional contact with Yamaha that I'm aware of.

Can someone enlighten an fng? Am I correct that this motor needs to turn 5800-6k to be running   optimally? This is my first boat and the whole prop thing is a mystery I'm slowly unraveling.

I believe I have been patient enough given the time I've been waiting and that the boat was ordered with that prop.

I'll look into the 16p inertia prop as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

It should run in the 6k rpm range.

Yeah. Waiting over a year is crazy. I'd raise hell. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. And my squeaking would be so loud ears would be bleeding from coast to coast. If I was Yamaha needs to do some staffing changes asap. In this day and age I don't understand the long backorders and not being able to deliver a product in a timely fashion. Nothing makes me more pi$$ed off than having to work to spend my money. This isn't a bennington issue though. It's Yamaha sitting with two thumbs up their butt.

I'm as patient as anybody but given that we ordered the boat from Bennington as opposed to buying a boat from dealer inventory and Bennington accepted the order but didn't deliver and here we are a year later with multiple attempts to communicate a resolution with no follow through on Bennington or Yamaha's part .... I can't help but think both Bennington & Yamaha are culpable to some extent. But I digress .... 

My big question is ... is my expectation of 5800-6k rpms a reasonable expectation and worth this hassle?? Or should I live with it as is? Thanks

I will place another phone call later today.

You want the 5800-6000 max rpm.  It is better for the engine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone - first let me thank everyone that has taken their time to share info on this site. It has been very informative trying to research our boat. The last boat I had "ownership" of was a 65' Patrol Boat as a member of the "Persian Gulf Yacht Club" in the late 80's so my current  learning curve has been steep to say the least.

We live on Lake Hickory NC which is a relatively small lake ( 4,223 acres with 105 miles of shoreline) and we will be letting her rest on a floating lift under the cover of a dock which we are constructing now.

I am at the point of making a final determination if I'm going to get this boat ordered (was considering a Harris also) but still have a few lingering questions. Any experienced opinions welcomed!!

2015 Bennington 2275 RCW w/F250 3.3L Yamaha

Color:  Blackout w/Black Panels & Sandstone Interior

Blackout Pkg

ESP Performance Pkg. 

Battery Switch Port/Stbd 

Battery Power Dist. Panel 

Center Tube Fuel Tank 50.1 

Infloor Storage ESP 

Power Assisted Steering 

Reclining Stern Lounge Seats 

Co-Captain Lounge Chair 

Pillow Top w Black Stitching 

Extra Wide Helm Chair 

Faux Teak Aft Brown & Black 

Platinum Seagrass 

Clarion Sirius Radio Bluetooth & CD 

Illuminated Wet Sounds Speakers x 6 

Kicker Sub/Amp Upgrade 

Elevated Helm 

Stereo Remote Pad 

Bimini Top Hybrid Toy Hauler Black Pwdr Coat 

Mooring Quick Clips 

American Flag 

Blue LED Cupholders Lighting 

Rubrail Protectors 

Sharkshide Tube Protector 

Ski Pylon 52” Removable 

Stainless Steel Rubrail 

Washdown 8.5 Gallons 

Matching Boat Fenders x 4

Safety Equipment

Saltwater Series 2 SS Prop

2 Batteries DP

Fuel

Anchor

Just a few caveats:

Dealer has suggested no Sharkhide?

Is Clarion head unit a worthy upgrade?

Considered Sport Tower but I was told not available on 2275RCW yet I think one member here has one?

Is double bimini a worthy consideration for a long day in the sun?

Dealer recommends 3.3L 250 Yamaha over SHO - any thoughts

Sealed strakes?

Rough water pkg?

This is an attempt to buy our last boat first based on many things I've read here. Thanks again for everyones willingness to share their thoughts here on this forum.

I have the Q2572 Blackout 2016 with rough water package and saltwater pkg. You probably have your boat by now, so hope you're enjoying it.  We went with the 300 Yamaha for very little more and it's worth it. We boat in the Matlacha area near Cape Coral Florida and have taken several long journeys of 40 miles or so and it handles like a dream.  The double Bimini is a must in hot sun.

I'm as patient as anybody but given that we ordered the boat from Bennington as opposed to buying a boat from dealer inventory and Bennington accepted the order but didn't deliver and here we are a year later with multiple attempts to communicate a resolution with no follow through on Bennington or Yamaha's part .... I can't help but think both Bennington & Yamaha are culpable to some extent. But I digress .... 

My big question is ... is my expectation of 5800-6k rpms a reasonable expectation and worth this hassle?? Or should I live with it as is? Thanks

I will place another phone call later today.

Just a heads up, Bennington has nothing to do with your prop. They don't supply props with boats, your dealer does. I still agree that it is ridiculous that you don't have that prop by now, I'll try to remember to check with my Yamaha dealer if he happens to have one. Unlikely, but worth asking. 

Earlier this year, my dealer was also having problem setting the SWS stainless props from Yamaha.  I was told March, then April, then June, etc.. then, I was reading Pontoon & Deckboat Magazine and they had an article on Yamaha outboards and how great their SWS props were.  So, I wrote to the editor, Brady Kay, and told him that while I appreciated the article and the talk about the props, that they appeared to be very difficult to actually obtain due to and everlasting back order.  Brady said he would check with people at Yamaha, since he knew lots of them through the magazine.  Well, not sure if it was a coincidence or the "squeaky wheel", but my dealer got BOTH apropos I wanted to try (two different sizes) about 2 weeks later...just sayin' 

And everyone else is correct in saying it's a Yamaha and/or dealer thing, not a Bennington thing.  Good luck...

GMG2 I have a similar problem with low RPMs although my motor is a 115 rather than a 250.  I know that would make a difference in the prop I select but just to give me some ideas could you tell me the specifics on the first prop and then the new one.  Thanks

GMG2 I have a similar problem with low RPMs although my motor is a 115 rather than a 250.  I know that would make a difference in the prop I select but just to give me some ideas could you tell me the specifics on the first prop and then the new one.  Thanks

Hey Mark. I went from a 13 pitch prop to a 15 pitch after the express tube install.

l'm told for every increase or decrease in pitch, the rpms will +/- 200 rpms.

Thanks GoldenRod I will look for some more advice in the Spring

Sorry for the delay. The first prop was a 18P Mirage Prop and it was replaced with a 16p Yamaha SSII that brought the RPM's up from about 5200 to 5800rpms. I'm very happy with the power and rpm range with the 16p. Also to note, I had a vibration from about 1800-2200rpms with the 18p Mercury that has disappeared with the 16P Yamaha SDS as well. Again, sorry for the delayed response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back