Anyone care to help me spend my $$??

When the SHO's originally came out, they had some problems. The were 20" motors intended to mainly be used on bassboats.   Most bassboat owners seem to be very satisfied now--after Yamaha replaced many motors.   To use a SHO on a Bennington, the had to have a cut down transom meant to be used with a 20" lower unit.

The old F250's were tried and true--and didn't experience such issues.  They're also plenty powerful and suit a tritoon boat just fine.

Get the Sharkhide done by the dealer!!!  I promise you will not regret it.  My pontoons tarnished after 1 water test.  I just finished polishing my pontoons and adding sharkhide.  It was and still is a nightmare!  You cannot even get in between the tri toons with lifting strakes unless you are so skinny, but you still have no room to work.  You will not regret the sharkhide.  Get the rough water package.

Yes, get the Sharkhide from factory! You are correct,  they no longer have a 2275 RCW tower. It is a 2375 now. I actually ordered mine in 2013, but because of the build date it is classified as a 2014. The neat thing is I quite possibly have the only 2014 2275 RCW Sport Tower! I love the look of my tower, it can make things much more difficult when trying to find storage for it, unless you are good friends or related to a farmer with a big storage shed like I am! The boat sounds great, oh and one thing to keep in mind, the SHO motors are not black, they are actually a very dark blue. The color was one of the bigger factors in why I originally went with the SHO on my last boat (200hp). I never had any issues with it so decided to stick with it again on this one, but a 250 this time. I can't tell you much about long term since I'm not even sure I had a COMBINED total of 50 hours on the two. Hopefully this year. Only made it out twice last year. Pretty expensive rental.

Thanks for the clarity on the motor color and sport tower!! Too many miles on my eyes I guess ...lol ... appeared black to me on the Yamaha website. There is about a $1500 upgrade for the Blue 25'' Shaft 4.2L SHO 250HP compared to the grey colored 3.3L F250. Aside from appearance are there any other notable differences worthy of consideration for the up-charge? Any opinions or insight greatly appreciated. Thanks!! 

I believe SHO's run better with premium fuel .

Last edited by a moderator:
GMG2,

Derrick is technically correct - SHO motors are a very, very, very dark blue metallic. Not sure if there are any other Yamaha dealers around that you could go look at one?

Yamaha recommends 89 octane minimum on the SHO but in talking to a factory service rep, he told us that 87 octane will not hurt the motor but it will 'detune' with lesser performance. Something to keep in mind though...

Actually the octane rating is relative to the horsepower. My original 200hp was minimum 87 octane, whereas the 250 is 89

Well, boat order has been placed! We went with the 250hp 25'' SHO after all. Hope to be underway sometime mid June ... with any luck. Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to opine here in this forum. This place has been a great resource, especially for an fng, and I will continue to read here as time goes by. THANKS!!!

That is one awesome boat with an awesome motor to match it.  Can't wait to see some pix and why don't you post your location on the map as well

Awesome. Sounds like you will be one of if not the first Bennington with an X-shaft 250 SHO. I'm sure the next month or so is going to seem like an eternity but hopefully you'll be on the water before you know it.

Ahhhhh the ole Efengee ! I love it!

Well, it's been a little over a year since we've taken delivery of our 2275RCW and I still have a problem/question for anyone willing to opine. We ordered our 2275RCW with a Yamaha VF250X and a Saltwater Series II prop. Due to the Saltwater Series II prop being on backorder we were delivered the boat with a Mercury Mirage prop with the understanding we would receive the Saltwater Series II when it was back in stock. No big deal for me except it has now been 1 yr+ and no Saltwater Series II prop. The dealer says they still cannot get one. Calls to Yamaha went unanswered and emailing Bennington since the first week of July '16 and still no answers. Last email with Bennington was Aug 01 2016 and still no answers.

Currently, the boats top speed is 43mph @ 5200rpms. Given everything I've read here I am ASSuming this motor should be turning about 5800-6k rpms? I'm thinking the motor would run more efficiently at a little higher rpms which is the reason I've been pursuing the prop that was ordered with the boat. The Saltwater Series II. 

Do I continue to shake the tree until the Saltwater II shows up or am I wasting my time. I won't get into how poorly I perceive this to have been handled by involved parties. Waste of time. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, it's been a little over a year since we've taken delivery of our 2275RCW and I still have a problem/question for anyone willing to opine. We ordered our 2275RCW with a Yamaha VF250X and a Saltwater Series II prop. Due to the Saltwater Series II prop being on backorder we were delivered the boat with a Mercury Mirage prop with the understanding we would receive the Saltwater Series II when it was back in stock. No big deal for me except it has now been 1 yr+ and no Saltwater Series II prop. The dealer says they still cannot get one. Calls to Yamaha went unanswered and emailing Bennington since the first week of July '16 and still no answers. Last email with Bennington was Aug 01 2016 and still no answers.

Currently, the boats top speed is 43mph @ 5200rpms. Given everything I've read here I am ASSuming this motor should be turning about 5800-6k rpms? I'm thinking the motor would run more efficiently at a little higher rpms which is the reason I've been pursuing the prop that was ordered with the boat. The Saltwater Series II. 

Do I continue to shake the tree until the Saltwater II shows up or am I wasting my time. I won't get into how poorly I perceive this to have been handled by involved parties. Waste of time. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would get a number to Bennington and call them personally.  This seems very ridiculous to me.  I would be very unhappy and would request some freebee's of some sort for the major inconvenience and broken promise.

I would get a number to Bennington and call them personally.  This seems very ridiculous to me.  I would be very unhappy and would request some freebee's of some sort for the major inconvenience and broken promise.

It's a Yammy thing. It's not keeping him from enjoying his fine craft.

Patience, Grasshopper.

It's a Yammy thing. It's not keeping him from enjoying his fine craft.

Patience, Grasshopper.

I think if he's waited a year, that is beyond patience.  I would work with Bennington to see if they can help straighten it out with Yamaha, but I totally agree.  I would find a number to speak with someone at Yamaha as well.  Waiting a year for something you purchased on an invoice is a little excessive.  

Randy, you're right, he is getting to enjoy his vessel, but if he's anything like me, he will enjoy it just a little bit more when all the lose ends are complete. :)  

Get then to get you a 16p Enertia prop. I believe that would be primo on your setup and there's a bunch of them on Ebay.

Back