Anyone know where I can get a cheap trailer for a tritoon?

JasonLepore

Reaction score
I found a new one for $2450... No brakes ,,,forgot the name brand though,,, any suggestions ? Is that a good price? Can I get a better deal?

Thanks

Reasonably priced trailers are available in Springfield, MO area and Elkhart, IN area. There are other trailer sources far from you. I suggest you get a paper copy of Boattrader for New England, and see if any boat trailer dealers area advertising in it. EBayMotors.com is another place to look.

Don't fall into the trap of false economy.

Shop for a good value? Definitely, and used trailers can be exactly that if they are in good condition.

But if you're looking at a trailer without brakes...?

Just my opinion, but ANY trailer capable of hauling more than a ton should have brakes.

Think of it this way...

Take a look at your hitch assembly.

Would you back it up to a hydraulic ram and allow over 2,000 pounds of force to be applied?

Scott's right about the tandem axle/double brakes. I prefer surge brakes.

You also need a trailer that's adjustable, since it's a tritoon; to add the bunk for the center toon. Some of the new trailers can also be modified by the selling dealer for your exact needs.

My tri-toon sits on a two bunk trailer, has been since it was bought new in 2005. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems and it has NO brakes. I will be adding brakes. It's on the lift 11 months a year so I'm not too worried.

My cousin bout a brand x pontoon. 26 footer with 200hp. The dealer said he didn't need a 3rd bunk. I say the dealer is wrong. Does a tri toons need a 3rd bunk. I say yes.

Sorry to hijack thread, but is a 3rd bunk needed?

Todd

Yes, a tritoon needs a third bunk. It's not a terribly expensive modification. The motor hanging on the back is quite a load, and it needs support for when hitting bumps when trailering. The third toon starts bouncing/bending. Toons are not exactly the most structurally sound 24' tube around with very thin metal and a lack of internal bracing.

Jason,

If you are dipping this in salt water you may want either galvanized or aluminum.

Check your message box, I have sent you a message.

Bamaman, good thought. I think when mine goes back in the water in April I will add a 3rd bunk at least at the back 10 feet. That will support the motor. Steve

Lakebum: I have 3 Bassmaster Elite fishermen stay with me when they're in town for bass tournaments. They don't trailer their boat anywhere without dropping their motors down on a motor support bracket (from the lower unit to the trailer frame.) They say that with their motors hanging on 10" jack plates, a 250 hp engine puts great stress on their transoms as they go over railroad tracks and bounce down the road.

A support bracket would probably be a wise addition to any pontoon boat trailer, as our transoms are not always substantial.

Back